York YK seal oil usage

York YK seal oil usage

I am working with an owner who has a new York/JCI 850 Ton, Variable Speed centrifugal chiller (model YK). The compressor shaft seal is a “wet seal” and I understand that this requires some oil to pass through the seal. York service data indicates that any oil usage under 2 oz every 14 days is acceptable. This seems like a good bit of oil to me.

Does anyone have any experience with these machines? And if so what type of oil usage rate have you experienced?

Thanks

The new style shaft seal on the York centrifugal have an average seal leak rate of 90 ml/month. Unfortunately York officially does not consider a seal to be leaking unless it fills the 750ml bottle in 250 hrs of operation.

Quote Originally Posted by hvac n-j-near View Post
    I am working with an owner who has a new York/JCI 850 Ton, Variable Speed centrifugal chiller (model YK). The compressor shaft seal is a “wet seal” and I understand that this requires some oil to pass through the seal. York service data indicates that any oil usage under 2 oz every 14 days is acceptable. This seems like a good bit of oil to me.

Does anyone have any experience with these machines? And if so what type of oil usage rate have you experienced?

Thanks
    That's right at one fill-up every 4 months. Ain't nothin' wrong with that...

setrite has it right