Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by R123 View Post
    It's against the laws of physics to have 20 degrees negative superheat.
    oh man not the P word
    plus i dont have a law degree
    so i better not get a ticket
    Im gonna hit the supply house in the moring and grab a twin pack of sensors.
    If you cant fix it right, try again.

Let us know what you find.

Quote Originally Posted by R123 View Post
    Let us know what you find.
    i will thanks for helping me out on this

Quote Originally Posted by toptech View Post
    oh man not the P word
    plus i dont have a law degree
    so i better not get a ticket
    Im gonna hit the supply house in the moring and grab a twin pack of sensors.
    That's where I would start. Oh does the machine configurations look to be correct? Refrigerant type, tonnage, number of fans,etc.?
    Last edited by cperk; 07-19-2011 at 11:44 PM. Reason: More info.

Quote Originally Posted by cperk View Post
    That's where I would start.
    we now have a majority, thanks cperk
    watch em be otta stock!!!!

Read my edit also.

Quote Originally Posted by cperk View Post
    Read my edit also.
    yes, i verified all that too, thanks

My vote is a bad sensor. Shut it down and wait. The two sensors should read pretty close. If they dont, replace. When they fail they usually read way off before they open or short.

thanks tranedude

you don't have a suction line filter/drier in there do you?

infrared thermometers are not the problem (i use them all of the time)...the problem is 'emissitivity' and 'distance to spot ratio (or d/s)' and 'reflectivity'

look the terms up and know how to use your tools. once you do, an infrared thermometer is a very easy and accurate device to use.
    How to make the perfect "Half-Hitch" knot or any other boyscout knot in 3 easy steps...

1. Remove your meter leads from the meter and very carefully return them to their storage case or bag.
    2. Wait 2 seconds
    3. Very carefully remove your meter leads from their storage place and enjoy your new knot!

Also, you might already know but you can go into the panel and test the EXV for that circuit. You will have to count how many seconds between the clicking noise you hear. Should be close to 16 seconds in between. If I'm thinking correctly in the order it does, it will start out in the closed position and start clicking immediatley. Then will drive open and that's when you start counting. Then stop counting when it opens all the way up and starts clicking again when it hits its stop. When it again stops clicking, you will start counting again as it is on its way back to the closed position.

I don't understand why you have those sensor readings if you said they checked out ok and they are wired to the board in the right spot. I've always used resistance check on the sensors and not voltage. I also use my gauges and that usually does the job for pressure sensors.

I work on a military base and we have a bunch of knob dickers around here. so what I always do is make sure all the dip switch settings are correct, panel is configured correct as well as the settings. Sensors also have to be installed in the fitting properly, not too far in!

When the compressor starts it will start unloaded, the male unloader will be energized and the female and male load will be de-energized. When it loads, the female unloader will energize and shortly after the male unloader will de-energize. The male load will then pulse, and eventually the male unload will pulse at times. Compressor also stops unloaded.

I hope I didn't repeat too much you already knew!

The pressures you had didn't seem like it was loaded. Are those your gauges' press readings or the panels?

RTAA going senseless

Toptech- As you stated you are not that familiar with this chiller. So I would suggest you find a tech who is. They are not that complicated, but you can unknowingly do damage. That being said have you performed the EXV test ? The machine must be off at the UCP- Human interface before you can enable the test. The sensors themselves can be way out of wack and not cause an alarm, if you suspect this, then you should pull the sensors out and let them sit in a cold water bath along with an accurate thermometer. These sensors are in the refrigerant flow so you have to pump the evaporator refrigerant from the king valve to the compressor into the condenser and if you not sure of yourself doing this find someone who knows this procedure. Measuring suction line temperature is a false indicator as the actual sensing bead is a little red bead about half way in the suction end bell of the compressor motor. It has 6 holes that allow the moving refrigerant to pass around that bead probe and the compressor suction should only have the two single holes parallel to the flow and the 4 holes perpendicular to flow. If you never seen the refrigerant sensors you may not know what talking about.
    Once in a while everything falls into place and I am able to move forward, most of the time it just falls all over the place and I can't go anywhere-GEO

Quote Originally Posted by ga1279 View Post
    Toptech- As you stated you are not that familiar with this chiller. So I would suggest you find a tech who is. They are not that complicated, but you can unknowingly do damage. That being said have you performed the EXV test ? The machine must be off at the UCP- Human interface before you can enable the test. The sensors themselves can be way out of wack and not cause an alarm, if you suspect this, then you should pull the sensors out and let them sit in a cold water bath along with an accurate thermometer. These sensors are in the refrigerant flow so you have to pump the evaporator refrigerant from the king valve to the compressor into the condenser and if you not sure of yourself doing this find someone who knows this procedure. Measuring suction line temperature is a false indicator as the actual sensing bead is a little red bead about half way in the suction end bell of the compressor motor. It has 6 holes that allow the moving refrigerant to pass around that bead probe and the compressor suction should only have the two single holes parallel to the flow and the 4 holes perpendicular to flow. If you never seen the refrigerant sensors you may not know what talking about.
    I wouldn't recommend pumping this chiller down. If the LP switch doesn't work then you will run this compressor in a vacuum very quickly. Not good. I know of a tech that locked a 60 ton compressor up when he pumped it down and it went in a vacuum. I would pull it all out, do the cheecks you need and weigh it back in. This is only my recommendation, but what ga1279 said is correct.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast