Waht is meant by "Purge gas lines after all connections have been made and check for leaks."? I'm installing a new furnace (Carrier Comfort 92) and this is in the manual. I've installed many water heaters in my day and never saw mention of purging gas lines.

Waht does it mean and how is it done?

Thanks...Joe

Good Lord

Where did you get the Carrier? E-Bay? How long did it take you to get gas to your many water heaters pilot, forever?
    Sorry for being kind of rude but jeez, read the posting rules, I will probably get slammed for giving out this highly technical information.

Edited out high tech instuctions on purging a gas line.

[Edited by millerman on 10-26-2005 at 10:47 AM]
    Proud supporter of Springfield Millers and Oregon Ducks.

Thanks Millerman. I did not mean to offend or break any rules. I've really had no problem with my water heater installs. I have a HVAC guy installing the furnace but he is not a licensed plumber so he does not want the responsibility of the gas line hook up. There was already an older gas furnace in the smae spot which I disconnected. I assumed your answer but it's an obvious safety concern so I thought I'd be sure.

So, to reiterate I make the full connection, turn on the main house supply valve, turn on the valve at the furnace riser then what, loosen say the union and let some gas flow, then retighten? Just looking to be safe.

Thanks again...Joe

Call your gas supplier. THIS IS NOT A DIY JOB. God forbid you made a mistake. If something goes wrong WHO’S responsible.

Let the gas company inspect your work, There the only ones that can sign off on it at this point.

[Edited by pecmsg on 10-26-2005 at 11:23 AM]

Our gas big brother will inspect and even fire off at no charge. If your HVAC guy has any experience he should know what purging the gas line is all about.
    Proud supporter of Springfield Millers and Oregon Ducks.

just for you adastra

step 1- find yellow pages

step 2- look up hvac contractors "the real kind not the cheap kind you hired" or a plumber

step 3- get a phone call up a couple of contractors

Sorry purging should only be done by pros obviously your not one or neither is your contractor you hired have him look at my post tell him he is a moron and good for nothing if he wants to know why have him ask me or any of the other pros on this forum.

Not trying to be mean but this the type of thing were you only get one chance

Please call for professional help.

This is not a job for an untrained person or a DIY'er.

Gas can become a very dangerous item VERY quickly.