Thread: 90 plus drainage

Post Likes
    Just wanted to get opinions on setting up the drain on these high effeciency furnaces. Some drill a hole through the floor and some guys insist on condensate pumps. Any opinions? I'm talking an unfinished basement.

Post Likes
    Condensate pump is the only way to go, unless you have a drain lower than the outlet.
    "Go big or Go Home"

Post Likes
    Ditto.. Just make sure you pump it to a plumbing drain instead of straight outside.

Post Likes
    How you drain is not as nearly as important as where you drain it. What ever you do avoid draining the condensate outside where it will freeze! Our first choice is always the drain for the washing machine, then a sump pump or floor drain. If it is not possible to drain it inside, then we will drain it to a 2" drain cup. If you simply run 3/8 clear tubing from the condensate pump outside, you can bet it will freeze up and may cause significant property damage.

Post Likes
    Interesting, 2 residential companies I know out this way just drill a hole through the concrete floor and stick a 3/4 pvc in. Do you guys consider this practice a hack method? We also see this done all the time when central air is added.

Post Likes
    Ya better have good drainage if you are going to put the A/C drain through the floor. There can be an awful lot of water come out if it is really humid in the house. May be ok for some to just drill a hole, but I prefer to use a condensate pump, they are fairly cheap and that way you know where the water is going. Also in our area we are prone to very high ground water in the spring and fall, I would prefer not to have any holes in my floor to allow water to seep in.
    "Go big or Go Home"

Post Likes
    A hole in the floor is how my AC unit was drained. The previous owners swore they never had a problem, but as soon as I turned on the AC, I had a wet basement. Perhaps they never turned it on???

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in