Thread: I have recurring mold problems, should I still get a humidifier

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Likes
    I have recurring mold problems in the basement of my Raised Ranch house.

Should I still get a humidifier - for the winter months when the heat is running? IS this a must have?
    Would it help for the house to be drier w/o a humidifier - so that the mold isn't as much of a problem anymore atleast in Winter and in summer ofcourse the A/C will hopefully dehumidify enough -

I probably still need to run a separate "de-humidifier" in the basement during summer.
    thanks yall

Post Likes
    Sorry but there is just too much to answer in this limited
    forum.
    I suggest you contact a mold remidiation company.
    But off the cuff i don't think you need a humiifier, but get the answer from the right people.

Post Likes
    Definately it's NOT a must have. If the house is too damp and mold is forming the last thing you want to add is more moisture.
    It depends on what the humidity and comfort level is in the house whether you need to add humidity. I'd suggest you get a decent hygrometer that lets you monitor the humidity level, that'll help you to know what you're working with.

A humidifier is a kinda nuisance apparatus if you ask me. If you can do without it, so much the better.
    Question authority!

Post Likes

Thumbs up Control to > 36% and < 54% R.H. Year Round

Originally posted by shaum76
    I probably still need to run a separate "de-humidifier" in the basement during summer.
    DEhumidifier is required for basement in summer to keep relative humidity < 50%.

DO WHATEVER It Takes!

Designer Dan __ It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with Some Art. _ _ KEEP IT SIMPLE & SINCERE ___ __ www.mysimplifiedhvac.com ___ __ Define the Building Envelope & Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows & Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Post Likes

thank you all

I'm in the process of replacing my furnace and A/c
    and the existing non working humidifier.
    I somehow assumed that the previous owner had it for a reason and needed it and was planning on putting in a new one.

but the basement is a walkout basement - some parts smell more like a basement than others...

anycase - the advantages being attributed to a humidifier - "helps with asthma"
    was the one factor i was consideirng getting it..since I have asthma - but my astham is mostly a result of allergies (dust, pollen and mold).
    but its not really clear how the humidifier helps with the "asthma" situation in my case.

anyways... I'd probably go without a humidifier and see how it turns out before installing one

Post Likes
    Chances are your basement is a few degrees cooler than the rest of your home. Relative humidity is just that, relative to the temperature. Cold air cannot hold as much moisture so the same amount of moisture would result in a higher RH than the warmer air. Maintaining between 40 and 60 percent RH is best for your health. Mold loves cold, damp, dark places and your basement is all 3. Heating your basement is one way to help. This eleiminates cold and damp. Some good lighting can help with the dark. UV lights installed in your HVAC system can kill spores as they are circulated through through the air as it passes by the lights. If the mold is really bad, you may require some remediation. An HRV or ERV can also be a good way to keep fresh air supplied to the home.

An HVAC contractor, well versed in IAQ can offer many good solutions.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by shaum76
    I have recurring mold problems in the basement of my Raised Ranch house.

Should I still get a humidifier - for the winter months when the heat is running? IS this a must have?
    Would it help for the house to be drier w/o a humidifier - so that the mold isn't as much of a problem anymore atleast in Winter and in summer ofcourse the A/C will hopefully dehumidify enough -

thanks yall
    Static electricity is "the clue" indicating the need to add humidity. <30%RH is uncomfortable but not unhealthy. Humidifiers need special attention to avoid mold growth around the unit. Maintaining <50%RH in the basement is a must to avoid mold growth. Most residential dehumidifiers are unable to maintain <50%RH in a cool basement. Get a %RH meter Radio Shack or Wal-mart and monitor your basement. You need a 1st class +90 pint/day dehumidifier to do the job in typical basement/crawlspace. TB

Post Likes

thanks a lot. but i'm confused now.

its clear that i need a de-humidifier in summer
    in winter i don't know yet - how humid the basement is...since I moved-in in Spring.

but if I wait to add the humidifer it will cost me twice as much from $XXX to $XXX.

i'm guessing the top floor will need some humidification in winter.

[Edited by jultzya on 10-29-2005 at 02:07 AM]

Post Likes
    mold needs moisture to grow
    mold will grow on anything with moisture

go to reptile store for $10 RH% gauge

read other threads at Indoor Air Quality forum

extend downspouts 10ft,
    slope ground 6" in 10ft away from house,
    position drains to be lower than foundation!
    harvest rainwater,make SHADE,R75/50/30= roof/wall/floor, use HVAC mastic,caulk all wall seams!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in