Hi folks, Ive just a bout setteled on a furnace, or thought I did. I was pretty much sold on trane xl90 2 stage, contractor #3 tells me that 2 stage w/out variable speed will cost to much in elec. I am more confused than ever. All three are right on with size. One thinks return downflow of 8x20 could be enlarged to create more turns. Any help?

The main difference between the XL90 and the XV90 is the blower. On the XL it uses a standard A/C blower, similar to a conventional furnace. The XV uses a D/C motor. The XV will save on your electric bill. But I don't know if I would let that influence your decision too much.

Nice thing about the XL is you get the benifits of 2 stage with out the added cost of the XV. However variable speed really adds to the two stage benifit.

That being said, as a contractor I have never sold an XL, or offered one. If you are going to two stage, go with the XV.

Jessica

If yur going to spend that kind of money ( for an XL or XV ), then why not go ahead with variable speed. Its all about comfort, right...(not payback).

JMHO,
    Richard

XV much quieter than xl and xv90 helps in a\c mode in taking out humidity. Also if you want to filter air,d/c motor cheaper to run.
    It's NOT the BRAND,it's the company that installs it!!!!!

Variable speed is great.. As the other guys says,

-It's quiet (if your duct is sized right)

-Cheaper to run the fan 24/7 in the winter to help balance out air temp.

-Best of all comfort!

I think it's well worth the money for it.