Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I have a Rheem Custom 90 with a bolt-on humidifier. Every few weeks (in the winter,) it shuts itself down, if I leave the humidifier on. The problem seems to be condensation gathering in the pressure switch that allows gas to flow.

I've have technicians come to the house twice and blow out the condensation, but that's not a permanent fix.

Is this common in these models?

Thanks!

I would get another service tech being that doesnt sound like the problem to me. Sounds more like its getting reset and blaming it on an air switch or at least water in it. Maybe not but I would try someone else and let him know what the other tech told you and tell him that didnt solve it. A good tech will find it, it might just take a little time. .

[Edited by dec on 10-25-2005 at 06:30 PM]

have somebody look at the humdifier drain and the way it connected. If the humidifier drain is common with the furnace drain it might be backing water from humidifier into it.

This is assuming you have a drain type humidifier.

Is the pressure switch plastic?

If so have them come out an replace it with a metal Honeywell.

You have a furnace drain problem it has nothing to do with the humidifier.
    Karst means cave. So, I search for caves.

Clean the trap and reroute your humidifer drain.

drain problem for sure

Originally posted by 2hot2coolme
    Is the pressure switch plastic?

If so have them come out an replace it with a metal Honeywell.
    Honeywell no longer makes a metal switch and the switch should only be repalced by a correct OEM part.

I agree, I think your drain is the problem. Run a seperate drain.

Thanks!

First, off, thanks for the suggestions. I appreciate it.

As for the techs, I'm locked into a multi-year maintenance agreement with them. I can imagine me telling them "hey check this, I read it on the internet..." Should be fun.

I'll have them check it out and see if they can re-route the drain and let you know what happens.

Look at your furnace condensate drain. Rheem states the condensate is not to be common drained. Ask them to install it according to the installation instructions. That isn't being unreasonable.

plot thickens ...

Good suggestion, troyorr.

The plot thickens. The original installer sold his business to the new company I have the contract with. Original work was done 7 years ago. I'm sure any warrantee is void. Doesn't hurt to ask.

There is no warranty on improper draining tecniques. SO you're not out anything.

Since the unit is 7 years old, could be the drain trap is partialy blocked and not allowing the condensate to drain fast enough. Remember, the vent slopes towards the furnace so any and all debris; ie dust, leaves bugs and general junk gets into the PVC and gradually works its way back to the trap. Ask the tech to check that too. Of course, if the tech is experienced on condensing units, that should be something they check anyway.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast