Thread: Can't Decide

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Likes

Hmm

I have a 13 yr old Bryant A/C- Gas Pac package unit. The top section that directs the flame into the heat exchanger is rusting out along with the choke bar on the bottom of the exchanger. The actual heat exchanger sections looks to be ok. A/C works fine. Have had few minor repairs over the last couple of years. Induction fan is starting to sing sometimes. I plan to live in the house in TN for a least 20 more years. I have several questions:
    1. Would it be cost effective to repair such an older unit?
    2. Would a heat pump w/resistive heat banks or a duel fuel unit be better where average daily winter temps range from the 40s to the teens?
    3. I was looking at the Carrier Infinity 13 SEER and the American Standard DCY 12 SEER duel fuel package units. Are these good units and IYO is one better than the other?

Thanks.

Post Likes
    Cant post prices here.

One unit is as good as the next when installed properly

Post Likes
    Sounds like time to boot it. A dual fuel packaged unit might be wise. If it is your only gas product and you have enough juice for electric backup, might go that way. Getting rid of a meter could save you $100-150 in meter charges alone.

Which is better? I say A-S, dash says Carrier. There, our votes cancel each other out. Find the best dealer

Post Likes
    Dirty pool Baldy.

My vote is Westinghouse. A-S and Carrier have not had the growth nordyne has in the past years. So you tell me who's got the juice with that kind of expansion.

Post Likes
    Cook with gas & just installed new gas water heater back in spring, so can't get rid of gas meter. Do you think now is the time to buy or see if it goes thru another winter? The choke bar is just about gone. I know I'm probably heating about as much outside as I am inside with it pulling all that heated air out. What is the forcast for rising prices on package units in the future?

Post Likes
    Originally posted by curry
    Dirty pool Baldy.

My vote is Westinghouse. A-S and Carrier have not had the growth nordyne has in the past years. So you tell me who's got the juice with that kind of expansion.
    What does that have to do with the quality of the unit. Growth does not equate to quality.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by ????
    The choke bar is just about gone. I know I'm probably heating about as much outside as I am inside with it pulling all that heated air out. What is the forcast for rising prices on package units in the future?
    Why waste money on operating cost for one more year?

The cost of units is constantly increasing and the extra money saved this year could help pay for the cost of the upgrade.

Your utility rates would be the determining factor of whether I would recommend gas or electric to back up the heat pump.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in