Thread: Covering Air Conditioner in winter?

Post Likes
    Hello everyone: This may seem like an over-simplization for a question, but, I would like to run it by you guy's anyways. A friend told me today that he was told by the people that he bought his central air condioner from to not cover the outdoor unit in the winter as it can corrode the contacts etc, that it should be left uncovered so it can breathe. Which is the best way? Could I have some opinions, please

Thorton

Post Likes
    They are made to brave the elements. If you have alot of foliage above or near to it, then cover the top two thirds of it to keep pine needles out and leaves.

Post Likes
    They can be covered but ventilation must be provided to ensure no condesation forms.

Post Likes
    You can make a shallow box and put on top of the unit if you have snow dirft or ice hanging over your unit in the winter... Otherwise, no.

Post Likes
    Yep a board with a brick is fine. Some of the new covers breath better but once they get dirty, thats that. Just dont forget to take it off before starting the AC.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by docholiday
    Yep a board with a brick is fine. Some of the new covers breath better but once they get dirty, thats that. Just dont forget to take it off before starting the AC.
    I need to follow this advice too. Three or four times this summer I turned on some old lady's AC, only to walk outside and feel the heat just "radiating" from that black cover from about twenty feet away. One time I walked out just in time to here it go POP and shoot off and blow down the road. Pretty amusing I must admit.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in