Thread: Replacement options on A/C

Post Likes
    According to a load analysis, I should have a 1.5 to 2 ton unit where I currently have a 3 ton outdoor unit and a 4 ton coil in the attic (Goodman).

One of the bids provides two alternatives - replace only the outdoor unit with a 1.5 ton, install a recirculating duct, and drop the fan speed,
    OR
    use a 1.5 ton outdoor unit and replace the coil with a 2 ton.

I'm being told either will achieve the same results.

The recommendation is to go with Trane 12 SEER because it is so small and won't draw too much power but he could put in a RUUD 14 if I wanted.

This is a unit used to cool an addition over a garage - all super insulated, sealed, shaded, etc. and the load calculation has been confirmed. Location is Dallas.

Any suggestions /opinions?

Thanks,

Dave

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Post Likes
    Change out the indoor and outdoor both with matched and rated units.No way would I put a 1.5 ton on a 4 ton coil.

Pick the brand that you ,or your favorite installation contractor wants,as long it has the features you want!Takes a lot of research to check out All the features of the top of the line systems of each brand,and there is a difference when it comes to the top of the line stuff.

Post Likes
    Hes right. The coil would be so big it would trap oil and slug refrigerat. Kill the compressor.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in