Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Angry

I had an A/C problem with one of my HVAC units about two months ago and now the SAME unit is not pushing any heat.

The thermostat is set on 67 and the temp shows 66, but nothing is coming out of the registers. Similar to my A/C problem, the furnace seems like its on and pushing, but it isn't getting any warmer.

Any suggestions, hints, tricks or ideas before I call the HVAC people? Could this have anything to do with the A/C problem I had http://www.hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthr...threadid=83408 or be the fault of the HVAC tech??

PLEASE HELP!!

Thank you!!!

[Edited by lusker on 10-24-2005 at 06:12 PM]

If nothing is coming out of the registers, it's either not on, delayed,or broken. Since this unit is warrantied, call them back out. Eventually they'll fix it.
    If everything was always done "by the book"....the book would never change.

Thanks. The system warranty is only for parts not labor.

Any other ideas?

Filter dirty? If not try turning the furnace off at the disconnect switch wait a minute or two and turn it back on and observe what the unit is doing. Make sure the stat is calling for heat.
    Proud supporter of Springfield Millers and Oregon Ducks.

If it's a ewer furnace I might assume that ther is a 24v wrng issue and could have blown the fuse on the board.

Try turning the thermostat fan-auto switch to on.

If fan comes on it could be something else.

Is it a mercury bulb thermostat?

If so, have a tech make sure it is level and check that the temperature indicator matches the actual room temperature.
    The way we build has a greater impact on our comfort, energy consumption and IAQ than any HVAC system we install.

http://www.ductstrap.com/

Originally posted by truenovice
    Thanks. The system warranty is only for parts not labor.

Any other ideas?
    Have them fix it before you end up costing yourself more money?

I had an A/C problem with one of my HVAC units about two months ago and now the SAME unit is not pushing any heat.

The thermostat is set on 67 and the temp shows 66, but nothing is coming out of the registers. Similar to my A/C problem, the furnace seems like its on and pushing, but it isn't getting any warmer.

Any suggestions, hints, tricks or ideas before I call the HVAC people? Could this have anything to do with the A/C problem I had http://www.hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthr...threadid=83408 or be the fault of the HVAC tech??

PLEASE HELP!!

Thank you!!!

I, too, am a hvac novice. I experienced what you are describing, and the problem was low refrigerant..the coil looked like an ice berg. Once the ice melted (I ran the fan only to blow the warm air to melt the ice). Then, I switched the ac on and it worked fine until it iced up again. The tech added freon (expensive, if I remember, about $22/lb plus labor, at that time [1998]). Fortunately for me, I sold the house and the new owner has to deal with the problem...it was a real slow leak and the problem didn't reappear until about a year after the house was sold [2000]. I also had a similar problem with the heat, i.e., for some reason the burners weren't igniting. Again, it was with a different home that was sold back in 1996, and the cause was a faulty thermocouple which had to be replaced. But listen to the pros here...they have no vested interest in how you fix the problem, except that they're proud of what they do, and they don't want anybody messing with their reputation.

eapples

quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PLEASE HELP!!

Thank you!!!

-----------------------------------------------------------

First I don't like just go setting the thermostat 1 degree higher than the room temperature. When I go to work on them I push it to the upper limit, like 90°F. This way I am assured that if the thermostat is off by a couple of degrees it will turn on. I mean who know how accurate the thermostat is. If it still doesn't come on you have a furnace problem. The same goes with AC I push it to 40 or 50 when testing them. When I am checking them out I want them to run and not shut off (Cycle).

Originally posted by millerman
    Filter dirty? If not try turning the furnace off at the disconnect switch wait a minute or two and turn it back on and observe what the unit is doing. Make sure the stat is calling for heat.
    Filter was changed the beginning of October (FYI I change them the first of every month).

By the way, the temp is on 64 and the thermostat is on 69 now.

Silly questions:

1) Where is the disconnect switch?
    2) What and where is the stat?

Thanks again!

The "stat" is an abreviated term for thermostat. Check next to your furnace or in the same room close by for the disconnect. Trace the power line feeding the furnace backwards from the furnace to the disconnect. If your fuse or breaker panel is in the same room as the furnace there might not be a disconnect. Remove the fuse or shut off the furncae breaker to kill power to the system. You would help everyone if you could name the make and model of your thermostat and furnace.
    If a day went by without a problem - there'ld be a problem.

Originally posted by moonman1
    The "stat" is an abreviated term for thermostat. Check next to your furnace or in the same room close by for the disconnect. Trace the power line feeding the furnace backwards from the furnace to the disconnect. If your fuse or breaker panel is in the same room as the furnace there might not be a disconnect. Remove the fuse or shut off the furncae breaker to kill power to the system. You would help everyone if you could name the make and model of your thermostat and furnace.
    Thanks! Its a GMNT Condensing Gas Furnace (according to the manual I have here). The thermostat is a ritetemp.

The trigger point for the t'stat is probably 1+ degree. If you adjust the setpoint of the t'stat 2 degrees below the indicated room temp, does the unit come on? If so then the discussion of your t'stat should focus on it's sensitivity and ability to bring the sytem on at temp. less than or equal to 1 degree F. Read the IOM carefully to see if a cycling adjustment can be made to improve t'stat performance. Running the furnace blower continuosly can cut the deadband thermal discomfort that you are experiencing.
    If a day went by without a problem - there'ld be a problem.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast