What is the difference between a heat pump and a gas furnace? I live in San Diego and around here I have only heard of furnace for heat - gas or electric, and air conditioner (condenser and coil) for cooling. On this site I have seen people talk about heat pumps relating to both heating and cooling. Can someone explain these terms to me and why you would use one over the other and in what combinations? Thanks!

Heat pumps ieal for Souther Cal climate unless electric rates are too high. Usually don't need to piggy back gas furnace and heat pump in your climate but can be done if so desired.

If you want your repairman to work outdoors in the blustery cold, track mud in your house and over charge your a/c system then get a heat pump.

If you want warmer air and are ok with the risk of dying of CO poisoning then get a gas furnace.
    "And remember my sentimental friend......that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others" - Wizard of Oz.

Originally posted by Steve Wiggins
    If you want your repairman to work outdoors in the blustery cold, track mud in your house and over charge your a/c system then get a heat pump.

If you want warmer air and are ok with the risk of dying of CO poisoning then get a gas furnace.
    Are we having a bad day? A little sarcastic arent we?

A heat pump is probably your best solution for San Diego. Heck, if I lived in San diego, I would be outside 90 percent of the time anyway.

i'm no Pro - but if at all you need heat...

get a high SEER/HSPF heat-pump and no gas furnace should be needed in your area.

and oh basically a heat pump is...

is an air-conditioner that can be reversed...

in simple terms a Heat Pump allows the same process that an A/C uses to cool your house to be flipped back and forth. i.e
    when it functions as a normal A/C it takes the heat in your house and "releases" or pumps it outside.
    when it functions as a "heater" it takes the heat outside and releases or pumps it into your house.

simple idea - you and I wouldn't have thought of - but whoever did was very clever.

here's a link for more details:

http://energyoutlet.com/res/heatpump/index.html

a gas furnace just burns gas - transfers the heat to the air nearby and the hot air is blown throughout the house.

Thanks for the info. You all have been very helpful.