Question 502used instead of 404A

What are the ramifications of 502 being used in a unit designed for 404A and POE, aside from pressures etc? I didn't do it, it seems the previous mechanic
    did. Compatability issues with oil? Should I just suck it out or leave it? WI freezer is working fine.

Thanks
    PS

Quote Originally Posted by Pats4P View Post
    What are the ramifications of 502 being used in a unit designed for 404A and POE, aside from pressures etc? I didn't do it, it seems the previous mechanic
    did. Compatability issues with oil? Should I just suck it out or leave it? WI freezer is working fine.

Thanks
    PS
    how do u know its 502

http://www.arkema.com/sites/group/en...ts/faq.page#11

Looks like you will be ok, oil wise. Not sure why someone would do that... R502 is super expensive (if you can find it, and if its real...) How's the performance (superheat, etc), and yeah, how do you know its 502?

I know a guy who did that. No problem.

Probably ten years ago, several of our local super market was closing, In the back room there were several 100# cylinder of R502 and R22. he brought it at auction - dirt cheap.
    Decide what you want, decide what you are willing to exchange for it. Establish your priorities and go to work." H.L. Hunt

"In order that people may be happy in their work, these three things are needed: They must be fit for it. They must not do too much of it. And they must have a sense of success in it." John uskin

As long as you do not mix the refrigerants, I don't see a problem.

502 is a great refrigerant, IF you can get your hands on it.

Quote Originally Posted by cjpwalker View Post
    http://www.arkema.com/sites/group/en...ts/faq.page#11

Looks like you will be ok, oil wise. Not sure why someone would do that... R502 is super expensive (if you can find it, and if its real...) How's the performance (superheat, etc), and yeah, how do you know its 502?
    Sticker was placed on unit stating 502 had been replaced. I had been there for routine maintenance(cleaning,etc.) When I questioned the owner about the sticker he remembered a condenser being replaced and the tech at that time telling him he had a better refrigerant than the 404a to use instead. Plus there was an empty bottle in close proximity to the freezer. SH was @10

PS

The 404 TXV will tend to be oversized

PPH rates for 404 will be higher so the 404 TXV's (unless the last guy installed R-502 TXY's) will tend to be oversized flowing the 502.

But if there's no floodback on startup and reasonably stable SSH - R-12, R-22, or R-502 will run fine over POE oil.

Especially if the box conditions are reasonably stable.

PHM
    -----

Quote Originally Posted by Pats4P View Post

Thanks
    PS
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.