Im just north of Concord NH and Im currently getting a hydro air w/ radiant system installed in our 4000+ sqft house. We have 3 air handlers, one in the master, one for the first floor and one for the second floor. I have radiant heating in the basement, garage and any tiled areas (bathrooms, kitchen, mud room).
    My plumber is working on costs but he is kinda slow. I cant really complain because i havent paid him anything and he's doing it inbetween his regular plumbing work. Can anyone give me a quick idea on the cost on a high 80 to 90+ percent efficient propane boiler? We are trying to compare the upfront cost to an outdoor wood furnace which is in the range of 8 grand. The work required to feed the furnace is not an issue, as I find writing out a check for propane every month to be very difficult.

We're not gonna get into prices. We don't even know the size of the boiler you're talking about. So I guess you must have someone home 24x7 all winter long to feed an outdoor boiler? I've heard about suplimental wood boilers, but not as the only heat source. If you loose power, you still have no way to circulate the hot water or run the air handlers. Loading a wood boiler looses it's charm real fast after the first year. Take my advice and leave the wood for stoves and sealed fireplace inserts. Use wood to help lower your LP or oil use while you're at home.

I dont see the work as a big deal. Thats everyones initial comment. I see writing an ever increasing gas bill as loosing its charm after the first month. I plan on using a duel fuel system so that I can use the stuff I have to pay cash for as a back up if Im gone. We will have a generator hooked up to essentials for any power loss.
    Boiler size would be about 100K BTU, sorry I forgot that.

Am I correct in thinking you have some way to get all your wood for free?

What's my post count now?
    UA Local 636

The only thing I liked about the outdoor wood boilers is they killed our market for indoor wood furnaces. Did not have to get those big monsters down the basement anymore. I know it is easier going down than up but I do not miss them.

We did not sell the outdoor boilers but, we ended up selling electric furnaces with them BEING USED as a back up. The furnace would BLOW air through a hot water coil.

You can do radiant heat with them as well and have another boiler as back up.

My main complaint is that these outdoor boilers are high heat output, at least the ones I saw. They can heat a house and a barn.

Farmers would load them up with big logs and if they only had a small load on them, such as only a house, then those big logs would smolder all day, burning inefficiently. Will use twice as much wood as needed with a small load on it.

Then they would load them up after supper and they would smolder all night.

[Edited by Carnak on 10-25-2005 at 06:01 PM]
    The way we build has a greater impact on our comfort, energy consumption and IAQ than any HVAC system we install.

http://www.ductstrap.com/

South/West of Quebec in the other part of Canada
    100K wood boiler might be to much....just think about it for a slight moment. 140 to 160 degree water on the supply and 120 to 130 return....