What annoys me as a residential service tech. - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 40 to 52 of 60
  1. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.phil View Post
    As a senior tech, I want you to call me if you are having a hard time. If you don't have someone on speed dial, that's a problem with your company. And as a senior tech, I have someone on speed dial as well. Customers are ok with that.

    yep us brain surgeons always have someone on speed dial...


    no other trade asks you to be a weatherman,a plumber,a electrician, and a scientist..

    I have one of the best service techs out there on speed dial..

    I am so missing another profession we are, but I cannot think of it at the moment...

  2. #41
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    2,579
    I liked the ones who'd great you at the door, tell you "the unit is around back, and it just needs a shot of Freezzzone." "Don't get too involved, and try to up my bill." Had a customer that had a bad burn-out, I wanted to look at the furnace, customer wouldn't let me. Noted that on the ticket, turned out his furnace was completely rusted out, including the heat exchanger. Could go on and on, glad I'm not in Residential anymore.

  3. #42
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by madhat View Post
    I liked the ones who'd great you at the door, tell you "the unit is around back, and it just needs a shot of Freezzzone." "Don't get too involved, and try to up my bill." Had a customer that had a bad burn-out, I wanted to look at the furnace, customer wouldn't let me. Noted that on the ticket, turned out his furnace was completely rusted out, including the heat exchanger. Could go on and on, glad I'm not in Residential anymore.
    Yea, those type of people are easy to deal with. The ones that are a pain are the ones who can't make a decision, don't trust you, and complain about everything.

  4. #43
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Lady Lake, Florida
    Posts
    799
    That's all you can do is document when the customer only wants a half ass job done by restricting what you can access and not. I meant to state earlier that I was not trying to degrade the residential technician. or their work. My hat's off to them. The only way I could do it is after attending quite a bit of sensitivity and human relations training. LOL

  5. #44
    dude I ran a call on an old bard, actually it was a call back, compressor is fried, I turned it off at the tstats, and the client told me to leave, it was ok...


    the system is over 10 years old and is failing, and they did not want to know the truth...

    the way I see it, the that wall hung needs to be replaced, but they just dont see, it, they suckered the prior to tech into working on a 10+ year old system, and the idiot guarentee'd his work.. While I have a compressor failing...

    The compressor is shot, and I put it back on the tech who went out there and did not have the guts to say it was time..

    condensor coil is gone giving a head over 400 with r22...

  6. #45
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Rochester, NY, USA
    Posts
    14,156
    Quote Originally Posted by Danae12 View Post
    dude I ran a call on an old bard, actually it was a call back, compressor is fried, I turned it off at the tstats, and the client told me to leave, it was ok...


    the system is over 10 years old and is failing, and they did not want to know the truth...

    the way I see it, the that wall hung needs to be replaced, but they just dont see, it, they suckered the prior to tech into working on a 10+ year old system, and the idiot guarentee'd his work.. While I have a compressor failing...

    The compressor is shot, and I put it back on the tech who went out there and did not have the guts to say it was time..

    condensor coil is gone giving a head over 400 with r22...

    how did the compressor can not burst? Test pressure is 350psi?
    BEING AN ADULT

    is the dumbest thing I have ever done

  7. #46
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Edna Bay, Alaska Highest concentration of black bears in the US
    Posts
    623
    Quote Originally Posted by Danae12 View Post
    dude I ran a call on an old bard, actually it was a call back, compressor is fried, I turned it off at the tstats, and the client told me to leave, it was ok...


    the system is over 10 years old and is failing, and they did not want to know the truth...

    the way I see it, the that wall hung needs to be replaced, but they just dont see, it, they suckered the prior to tech into working on a 10+ year old system, and the idiot guarentee'd his work.. While I have a compressor failing...

    The compressor is shot, and I put it back on the tech who went out there and did not have the guts to say it was time..

    condensor coil is gone giving a head over 400 with r22...
    If you have head pressure over 400#, How is that a bad pump?

  8. #47
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Winston-Salem NC
    Posts
    1,133
    I have been lucky. I have mostly had good employers, and good service managers.

    The type you can call, and they can walk you through anything.

    And, there are a couple of pro members here, who I have been questioning, checking with and seeking their advice, long before I knew this site existed.

    And, I got my favorite ex-employer to help me with any design or code questions I may have.

    But, and this is a big but, in HVAC/R as in any other field, you either hone and improve your skills, or you will fail in the long run. Keeping abreast of new stuff, and learning the old stuff you never knew is the key to being a better tech.
    Learning how to go to calls, and figure out what the problem(s) are/is, by talking to resident, looking around and seeing, not looking at, the equipment is key for providing good service.

    For folks wanting to run their own company some day, a major key is learning how to present what you do, and what you charge, as valuable to the customer.
    I ain't talking gimmicks or buzzwords, but actual value.

    A customer will appreciate truth more than some spin. Telling a customer you don't know, but will find out, is worth more than any BS you can spew. Telling a customer the truth about repairing versus replacing is priceless. And saying, "I screwed up, and here is how I am going to make it right, at no cost to you" will bring you more repeat business than you can imagine.

    I gained a customer from my favorite ex-employer back when I first went out on my own, because they sent the same tech out 3 times, the 3rd after the customer said "Send a tech out, but not the guy you have been sending.". I did not solicit or chase this customer, she heard about me from another source, and was in the market for a good HVAC man.

    Honesty, reliability, and fair pricing will carry you far in this field. And fair pricing is simple. You charge, you fix. That easy. And if you charge and don't fix, then be prepared to eat a bunch of costs doing whatever it takes to get it working, on your own dime, not the customer's.

  9. #48
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Edna Bay, Alaska Highest concentration of black bears in the US
    Posts
    623
    Quote Originally Posted by stonewallred View Post
    I have been lucky. I have mostly had good employers, and good service managers.

    The type you can call, and they can walk you through anything.

    And, there are a couple of pro members here, who I have been questioning, checking with and seeking their advice, long before I knew this site existed.

    And, I got my favorite ex-employer to help me with any design or code questions I may have.

    But, and this is a big but, in HVAC/R as in any other field, you either hone and improve your skills, or you will fail in the long run. Keeping abreast of new stuff, and learning the old stuff you never knew is the key to being a better tech.
    Learning how to go to calls, and figure out what the problem(s) are/is, by talking to resident, looking around and seeing, not looking at, the equipment is key for providing good service.

    For folks wanting to run their own company some day, a major key is learning how to present what you do, and what you charge, as valuable to the customer.
    I ain't talking gimmicks or buzzwords, but actual value.

    A customer will appreciate truth more than some spin. Telling a customer you don't know, but will find out, is worth more than any BS you can spew. Telling a customer the truth about repairing versus replacing is priceless. And saying, "I screwed up, and here is how I am going to make it right, at no cost to you" will bring you more repeat business than you can imagine.

    I gained a customer from my favorite ex-employer back when I first went out on my own, because they sent the same tech out 3 times, the 3rd after the customer said "Send a tech out, but not the guy you have been sending.". I did not solicit or chase this customer, she heard about me from another source, and was in the market for a good HVAC man.

    Honesty, reliability, and fair pricing will carry you far in this field. And fair pricing is simple. You charge, you fix. That easy. And if you charge and don't fix, then be prepared to eat a bunch of costs doing whatever it takes to get it working, on your own dime, not the customer's.
    Well put!

  10. #49
    meh I am calling the condesor coil is bad.. I didnt get to diagnose it, but I am guessing that damn bard was doa... Condesor coil is bad.. For sure, that is why the head is so high...

    Anyhow either way its time...

    I wont guarantee crap like that..

  11. #50
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Rochester, NY, USA
    Posts
    14,156
    Quote Originally Posted by Danae12 View Post
    meh I am calling the condesor coil is bad.. I didnt get to diagnose it, but I am guessing that damn bard was doa... Condesor coil is bad.. For sure, that is why the head is so high...

    Anyhow either way its time...

    I wont guarantee crap like that..

    The Condenser coil is "BAD"?

    what do you mean by "bad"? Do you mean dirty? Leaking? what?


    and what board are you talking about? Is there a time delay board in the condenser or is it a 2 stage unit?
    BEING AN ADULT

    is the dumbest thing I have ever done

  12. #51
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    2,579
    AT&T, Sprint, Verizon expected to get Twenty years out of their Bard units before scraping them. This was of course with through maintenance.

  13. #52
    Quote Originally Posted by jmac00 View Post
    The Condenser coil is "BAD"?

    what do you mean by "bad"? Do you mean dirty? Leaking? what?


    and what board are you talking about? Is there a time delay board in the condenser or is it a 2 stage unit?
    that info is not for free...

    but if you have a ten year old system, and your not getting your maintenance, and you have a high head pressure, and your in a climate that is humid take a look at your condenser coil..

    anyhow I appreciate this thread still having life after a late night, rant I had after a bad day...

    lol leaking, dirty... Try flaking and not absorbing..

    and I said bard... Not Board...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event