Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Danae12 View Post
    I have been doing service for a few years, ya I know I have not hit the 10 years club....

You know what annoys me.. My clients.

I am at a call been there five minutes and the client is asking me so, what is wrong did you figure it out...

As if I am below doctor status, and instead of a bedside manner I get a street side manner...

I just dunno what has happened in our field..

I was taught to take my time and analyze everything on a central air system..

I just get so annoyed after being at a call 5 mins I am asked what is wrong, and looked at like I am a moron, for not answering...

takes me about an hour to diagnose and come to a conclusion on what is wrong system normally, especially when it is refrigerant related...

Does anyone else go thru this?

how do you deal with it?

I try not to be rude, but sometimes I just want to say to my client so much...

when some knob asks me this, I just smile and say "it took you a few months to break it, it's going to take me a few minutes to figure out what you did"

sometimes I'll hit 'em with techno-speak like, "well, how much do you know about thermodynamics?<eyes begin to glaze over> you see this right here, thi............hey, where you going?

sometimes I use this line: I dunno, what did you do to it" (if they say I didn't do anything") I say, thats why I'm here

if someone gets real pushy I just say, "well, I could explain it to you, but you probably wouldn't understand what I'm saying and it will add an hour to the bill"

but, I bet nine times outa ten, most people really don't care whats wrong, they just want it fixed

always try and use a sense of humor, it works great and it will get the chump off your back
    LOVE has four letters

So does BEER, DEER,GUNS AND FISH

I thought this question was about how to handle customers, not if he's taking too long on a service call. But yes, some customers do stink. They ask you what's wrong after five minutes and then the dispatcher asks you after ten. I also thank God I don't do residential though.

That's about the way it is, thank god no residential , and as far as dispatchers, well, if you can handle children it should'nt be to bad. Only use the same approach.

A lot of guys here dont like resi. Personally I've done both and prefer to do almost all resi. I usually get to pull right into a driveway. Just carry in a light tool bag. No roof tops to scale or malls to cross, or fifty pound vetos to lug. The parts are usually also lighter and easier to work with. Dealing with home owners is easy with just a little skill. Theres no crawls where I am. There are some, but not many attics and if I really dont like the set up, I can just leave. But thats the advantage of being self employed. Resi to me is ten times easier on the body. Most commercial techs bodies that I know are shot ie knees, backs etc, and most are younger than me.

Quote Originally Posted by newoldtech View Post
    A lot of guys here dont like resi. Personally I've done both and prefer to do almost all resi. I usually get to pull right into a driveway. Just carry in a light tool bag. No roof tops to scale or malls to cross, or fifty pound vetos to lug. The parts are usually also lighter and easier to work with. Dealing with home owners is easy with just a little skill. Theres no crawls where I am. There are some, but not many attics and if I really dont like the set up, I can just leave. But thats the advantage of being self employed. Resi to me is ten times easier on the body. Most commercial techs bodies that I know are shot ie knees, backs etc, and most are younger than me.
    Me and my bad knee think you make a good case.

First off for the mature techs, thanks..

How I just got the default, I dunno what I am doing, while diagnosis, which means I am getting all my info say on a system a client is saying not cooling good, enough, and is a new install, and is under warranty, ETC. ETC.

I can tell by some of the responses I got getting clowned on, are NOT, in no way a service personal I would call like fellow brain surgeons asking what do you think...

I said it annoyed me, its not that big of a deal, I was just asking how other fellow techs dealt with it. Outta 10 service call I go on, I have someone asking me at least 5 mins after I have been there, I am asked what is wrong..

Now lemme give you an idea how I do my service calls.

Normally if its a new install, and the client is complaining that it is not cold enough I am doing my cfm test, thats first, that alone takes me awhile... Once I do that I make sure I am getting my tonnage..

Now if I have lost you already, I am not surprised.

If its not in my ductwork, I goto my refrigerant.. Making sure its not over charged, undercharged, my txv is working no condensibles in the lines etc. etc. At this time I am at about 30-45 mins....

by this time I have usually isolated what is wrong...

that is what every experienced service tech should be doing, especially with this higher seer equipment, in residential oh like the x13..

anyhow thank you guys for the advice, I appreciate it.

l

Quote Originally Posted by marvin View Post
    around here on some resi. it will take 15 min. just to gain access to
    the equipment. a h in attic/ cond. on roof /electrical panel
    on opposite side of house etc.
    also after finding the reason for no cooling another small problem crops up.
    a seasoned tech. should be able to diagnose the initial problem
    within the first 15/20 min. but after that you still have the repair to do &
    then check the unit for proper operation.
    the less experianced techs need to be a little slack instead of the dispatcher
    breathing down their necks to get to the next call.
    Try having a piece of equipment down, having to go through 4 or 5 locked gates where you have a key, a few more where someone with a key shows up, then wait for a movement to complete so some other person can unlock a remotely locked security gate, so you can finally get t the breaker for the equipment. Then shutting it off, and retracing your route.
    I recall one electric motor for a trash compactor where the cut off was about 30 feet away in pain sight. And on a good day, if everything and everyone worked right, I could get from compactor to cut-off in a little less than 18 minutes.
    On bad days, if it was count time, it might take up to an hour and a half.

Quote Originally Posted by stonewallred View Post
    Try having a piece of equipment down, having to go through 4 or 5 locked gates where you have a key, a few more where someone with a key shows up, then wait for a movement to complete so some other person can unlock a remotely locked security gate, so you can finally get t the breaker for the equipment. Then shutting it off, and retracing your route.
    I recall one electric motor for a trash compactor where the cut off was about 30 feet away in pain sight. And on a good day, if everything and everyone worked right, I could get from compactor to cut-off in a little less than 18 minutes.
    On bad days, if it was count time, it might take up to an hour and a half.
    I hear ya bro... Getting kao, and all that jazz.

I taught my dispatchers quick, I understand the stress these small companies can put on service techs, but I like to get it right the first time, and if the company I work for does not give me enough time, and blames me for having to go back out to a call because dispatch was nagging me, I leave them in the dust..

service is completely differant then installs.. You just cannot rush those calls. sure thou blown caps ya know bad blower motors sure, quick diagnosis's and repair ya.. I wonder how these small company's deal with leaks in systems, calling their service techs 15 mins in a leak check..

I would feel sorry for that license holder, when a service tech is being rushed to find and repair a leak... In a condo..

I am so glad I work for a great company that respect what they have...

sounds to me like the experienced service techs are who can fix a system in 15 mins are doing allot of guessing..

Quote Originally Posted by Danae12 View Post
    First off for the mature techs, thanks..

How I just got the default, I dunno what I am doing, while diagnosis, which means I am getting all my info say on a system a client is saying not cooling good, enough, and is a new install, and is under warranty, ETC. ETC.

I can tell by some of the responses I got getting clowned on, are NOT, in no way a service personal I would call like fellow brain surgeons asking what do you think...

I said it annoyed me, its not that big of a deal, I was just asking how other fellow techs dealt with it. Outta 10 service call I go on, I have someone asking me at least 5 mins after I have been there, I am asked what is wrong..

Now lemme give you an idea how I do my service calls.

Normally if its a new install, and the client is complaining that it is not cold enough I am doing my cfm test, thats first, that alone takes me awhile... Once I do that I make sure I am getting my tonnage..

Now if I have lost you already, I am not surprised.

If its not in my ductwork, I goto my refrigerant.. Making sure its not over charged, undercharged, my txv is working no condensibles in the lines etc. etc. At this time I am at about 30-45 mins....

by this time I have usually isolated what is wrong...

that is what every experienced service tech should be doing, especially with this higher seer equipment, in residential oh like the x13..

anyhow thank you guys for the advice, I appreciate it.

l
    Start by taking your superheat, subcooling and ΔT. Leave the duct work and CFM test for last or if your SH and SC readings call for it. And if it is a ductwork issue you will not be able to fix it that day so put that in the back of your head and check it last. The first and most imporant reading you should take is your ΔT and superheat then go from there.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger93rsl View Post
    Start by taking your superheat, subcooling and ΔT. Leave the duct work and CFM test for last or if your SH and SC readings call for it. And if it is a ductwork issue you will not be able to fix it that day so put that in the back of your head and check it last. The first and most imporant reading you should take is your ΔT and superheat then go from there.
    I hear ya, usually I always start with my delta brother..

I am just getting sent on allot of warranty new installs these days, and the installers and salesmen are not looking at the damn ductwork..... Saving allot of time checking my cfm.... There are new dc motors out here in resi, that screw everything up if the ductwork is not right...

I usually start with the part that ain't working. Once I get that working I'll go look at the rest of it.

if it's simply not cooling, but everything is running, slap the gauges on it and see what my pressures are.......then I go look at the rest of the stuff.

Lets face it, if the unit has been installed for awhile and it was working last week, what changed?
    LOVE has four letters

So does BEER, DEER,GUNS AND FISH

Quote Originally Posted by jmac00 View Post
    I usually start with the part that ain't working. Once I get that working I'll go look at the rest of it.
    ya me too, especially with those calls "its not cooling good enough!"

I like that part....

Edna Bay, Alaska Highest concentration of black bears in the US
    As a senior tech, I want you to call me if you are having a hard time. If you don't have someone on speed dial, that's a problem with your company. And as a senior tech, I have someone on speed dial as well. Customers are ok with that.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast