What annoys me as a residential service tech. - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Danae12 View Post

anyhow I dont wanna get picked on anymore.. I am outta here...
    Not trying to pick on you dude, just saying it shouldn't take you an hour to diagnose and come to a conclusion on what is wrong with a residential air conditioner system.

Look at the responses you have so far, nobody else is saying they usually need an hour to figure out a residential unit.

Not trying to bust your balls, just saying an hour is a long time to figure out whats wrong. Sorry if I offended you.
    Last edited by chillrdude; 07-19-2011 at 03:54 AM.
    If you dont stand behind our troops, please feel free...........to stand in front of them.

2-3 minutes spent talking to the person with the problem, can slice a bunch of time off the diagnostics end of things. Most calls are pretty much in and out stuff. The ones where you go in, and the coils are clogged, the unit is undercharged once clean, the duct work is undersized and disconnected, and the fan is st on the wrong speed, which also has an intermittent short, yeah, they take longer.

Well,One of the problems is some techs tell the customers too much trying to convince them they are doing a good job,like a dog begging for the throw stick,many young techs have plenty of energy to waste and circle the main problem before solving the issue concerning the owner.
    Sure there may be several smaller issues aggravating the problem but many people won't keep their system serviced properly.
    So it's hard to say how long a service call takes.At the end of the day it's getting paid with a happy customer.

Quote Originally Posted by chillrdude View Post
    Not trying to pick on you dude, just saying it shouldn't take you an hour to diagnose and come to a conclusion on what is wrong with a residential air conditioner system.

Look at the responses you have so far, nobody else is saying they usually need an hour to figure out a residential unit.

Not trying to bust your balls, just saying an hour is a long time to figure out whats wrong. Sorry if I offended you.
    I didn't see anywhere in his post where he said he spent a whole hour diagnosing a unit. Just leave him alone, it takes expierience to get to where you can diagnose a unit in 10 min. I would rather have a guy that spent 2 hours fixing my equipment and doing a good job. Than have a guy that just there for 15 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger93rsl View Post
    I didn't see anywhere in his post where he said he spent a whole hour diagnosing a unit. Just leave him alone, it takes expierience to get to where you can diagnose a unit in 10 min. I would rather have a guy that spent 2 hours fixing my equipment and doing a good job. Than have a guy that just there for 15 minutes.
    Obviously you did not read HIS first post.
    If you dont stand behind our troops, please feel free...........to stand in front of them.

Quote Originally Posted by chillrdude View Post
    Obviously you did not read HIS first post.
    He spends about an hour on diagnostics. Thats ok there is nothing wrong with that, he will get faster as he gains expierience. I would rather have a guy there 4 hours and get it right the first time. Then send a guy out, have him spend an hour on it and then have to send him back the next day.

I'm so greatful I never do residential work because of the crap home owners try to pull as the original poster described. To repeatly hear, " Fixed yet, fixed yet?" would drive me over the edge is if I wouldn't already be close enough.LOL.

what is wrong " NOT SURE " did you figure it out " NOT YET " and you get the same questions / attitude from COMMERCIAL clients as RESIDENTIAL.

i do agree some of the responses seem kinda rough .. but dont forget your dealing with people who are technically engineers .. and its easy to judge someone from the safe secure area behind a computer screen..
    however .. if you have the patience to take your time and be confident in yourself then you have to apply that to the dealings with a ho..
    polite, hazy answers.. cater to their questions but don't say too much.. and dont give anything definite untill your 100% you found the problem

around here on some resi. it will take 15 min. just to gain access to
    the equipment. a h in attic/ cond. on roof /electrical panel
    on opposite side of house etc.
    also after finding the reason for no cooling another small problem crops up.
    a seasoned tech. should be able to diagnose the initial problem
    within the first 15/20 min. but after that you still have the repair to do &
    then check the unit for proper operation.
    the less experianced techs need to be a little slack instead of the dispatcher
    breathing down their necks to get to the next call.

I don't think anybody who says he spends an hour to diagnose the problem is experienced enough to be complaining about customers!

Get some time in, you'll be faster and LOOK more competent, the hassles will be reduced.

I still remember my first No Cool call. That old bat seemed unreasonable then, but she could smell my fear. Now I exude confidence, and they watch in awed reverence, and say "you make that look easy." Or maybe I smell bad, either way, they don't pester me like when I was new.
    Jason

You could always sell men's perfume at the local department store !

I understand your complaints about customers. Most are nice people that are thankful they are getting their air fixed. A few are a holes as soon as its time to pay up. A few more are a holes that already tell you they know what the problem is (it just needs some Frezon) And a few more are just curious and like to talk. I could care a less about how long it takes anybody to diagnose the problem within a reasonable time frame. But 5 minutes is barely enough time to get your tools out. An hour can be reasonable depending on the complexity of the system. Some of us seasoned techs are sent on the more complicated high end equipment that does take more time than a single stage Goodman AC. Just depends on the equipment. There must be a lot of supertechs on here!!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast