I have a 80 uhg. The thermostat calls for heat, the fan turns on and the igniter heats up, flames come out for about 2 seconds, then turns off. This repeats 4-6 times.
    The Diagnostic lights flash "Alternating slow flash"
    The Lennox book says Watchguard- burners failed to ignite

Is there an easy way to fix this or do I have to call for service.
    If I have to call for service, what price range am I looking at?
    Thank you,
    Joe

call for service, pricing questions not allowed. should be easy fix

Welcome to HVAC TALK. However this site has rules against giving out technical advice to DIY'ers (as well as pricing). I have attached a link below for your convenience.

Here's something to think about though...

When was the last time you had that unit cleaned and inspected?

Now you have a problem with the unit. Fuel costs are skyrocketing.

So why not call in a professional to repair the unit? While they are there they can clean and inspect your unit to insure a safe living environment for you and your loved ones. Not to mention, having an efficient running system could save you more than the cost of the service.

What's your safety worth? I'm guessing more than the repair bill.

Thanks for your understanding.

(we can't help DIY, due to site rules )

Originally posted by nyjoe
    I have a 80 uhg. The thermostat calls for heat, the fan turns on and the igniter heats up, flames come out for about 2 seconds, then turns off. This repeats 4-6 times.
    The Diagnostic lights flash "Alternating slow flash"
    The Lennox book says Watchguard- burners failed to ignite

Is there an easy way to fix this or do I have to call for service.
    If I have to call for service, what price range am I looking at?
    Thank you,
    Joe
    Best call a lennox service company. What you have is a model that now has an upgrade for the flame sensor. Read your manual further and you will see that watch guard means the unit has sensed a problem, knows it can't fix itself, so it shuts down and rests for an hour or so. If the tstat is still calling for heat, it will awaken from it's slumber and go thru the ritual again. Maybe even run for awhile, it is tempermental. But it will slumber again knowing that by doing so the house will cool and the homewoner will now be aware that it is time for a check up, a tune up, a cleaning, and possible replace tired parts.

opposite the ignitor is a rod that sits in the flame of that burner. Read the manual about flame sensor. It tells you you can clean this rod with steel wool, nothing too abrasive and this may give you some temorary heat.

But do get a service call. Without a full model number and further info it would be futile to suggest more. Cost? Much less than a lawyer, doctor, auto repair to name a few. If you have to ask, that tells me that you have not had regular service and therefore have 'saved' a lot. Now it is time to pay the piper.