Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I have had my Infinity sytem for about a year now and am very happy. I read in some of Carrier's literature that they recommend leaving the fan on all of the time. Does this reduce the life of the VS blower and does it improve air quality? (I have the 5" media filter and change the filter every 6-8 months)

A motor ages each time you start it, so I see nothing wrong with it running conitnuously with respect to motor life.

In the heating season constant circulation of air would help even out temps.

In cooling mode, in particular in humid environments, a continuous fan will keep your indoor %RH perhaps 5 to 10% higher than what the air handler in Auto mode would.

Auto mode means the indoor fan runs only when a compressor is running. Some equipment will have timers that run the blower for 60 or 90 seconds after the compressor shuts off. In humid climates this just re-evaporates water.
    The way we build has a greater impact on our comfort, energy consumption and IAQ than any HVAC system we install.

http://www.ductstrap.com/

And just so you don't have a concern about the cost of it running all the time, you're looking at somewhere around a dime a day. Since you have a variable let that sucker do what it was made for, eliminating hot and cold spots in the house, filtering the air all the time, and believe it or not, lengthening its life.

Originally posted by seatonheating
    And just so you don't have a concern about the cost of it running all the time, you're looking at somewhere around a dime a day.
    I beg to differ on the cost of running a typical 1/2 HP fan motor continously. I get over $35 a month at 10 cents per kwhr. No way could it be just 10 cents per day!!

I suggest to my customers to let the fan run continuously. This then keeps the air circulating. I do not believe that it shortens the life of the blower motor because it is not constantly stopped then started.
    All Seasons Heating & Cooling

I understand the whole idea of having a motor run continuously to prevent wear and tear of starting and stopping. I do run my furnace fan constantly too.

BUT

Even when the fan is set to continuous, it will stop and start at the beginning of each heating cycle. My 58mvp will stop the blower as the burners ignite, then it will turn it back on again. So, it that sense, there is no difference in AUTO or ON because the fan motor will stop and start anyway.

I think running it constantly is more for a comfort reason rather than making the motor last longer.

Originally posted by redhawk
    I suggest to my customers to let the fan run continuously. This then keeps the air circulating.
    If you fan runs continously your humidity control will suffer and that is a fact.
    __________________________________________________ ____________________________
    “Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.” –Albert Einstein

“Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards.”-Vernon Law

So guys, I from what you are saying, in a heat pump scenerio, it's best to run the fan continuously in heat mode and in auto in cooling mode?

Thorton

Originally posted by Carnak

In cooling mode, in particular in humid environments, a continuous fan will keep your indoor %RH perhaps 5 to 10% higher than what the air handler in Auto mode would.

This is an old wives tale. Those water droplets are going to re-evaporate regardless of whether the blower is on or off.
    "And remember my sentimental friend......that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others" - Wizard of Oz.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    The Infinity has a shut down for the coil to drain ,and the condensate pan drains very well,plus if it's a two speed the runcycles in low are long,running the fan in cooling won't add much humidity.

But do you need to?Uneven temps,should be covere by low speed operation,dso longer filtration hours might be a reason,if so set it to run in med or low,on the off cycles,and wacth the humidity ,just in case.

Originally posted by Steve Wiggins
    This is an old wives tale. Those water droplets are going to re-evaporate regardless of whether the blower is on or off.
    Steve not to argue the point, but I have never heard that and I really don't think you can go as for as saying it's an old wives tale this has been tested to prove this, so I have to disagree with you if you are going as for as saying it will not effect your humidity at all because it will, but it's ok to disagree as long as we agree to disagree and not burn down the world over it.
    __________________________________________________ ____________________________
    “Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.” –Albert Einstein

“Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards.”-Vernon Law

Actually I think it might have some truth to it. I like to disagree with these points so that the OP will come back with the proof to prove me wrong. That way I am confident to repeat it to someone else. Its just my style on forums and many have a big problem with it. O well it works for me.
    "And remember my sentimental friend......that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others" - Wizard of Oz.

Originally posted by casturbo
    Originally posted by seatonheating
    And just so you don't have a concern about the cost of it running all the time, you're looking at somewhere around a dime a day.
    I beg to differ on the cost of running a typical 1/2 HP fan motor continously. I get over $35 a month at 10 cents per kwhr. No way could it be just 10 cents per day!!
    The system in question does not have a "typical" motor. It has a VS motor, and on low speed settings it uses a small fraction of the electricity that a "typical" motor would.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast