Thread: HVAC Help for My Mom

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Likes

Exclamation

Hi all,
    I just found out from my mom that one of her HVAC ducts has separated at a junction, pouring heat into her basement, instead of the duct work where it belongs. She's been trying to get someone to come out to repair the separation, but hasn't been able to find anyone yet...those she's called say they "don't do that kind of work." I find it hard to believe that she can't find someone near Monmouth Jct, NJ that can help her. Can anyone recommend a way for her to find someone that does small residential fixes like this? Are there any contractors on this website with a business near her or know of a company near her, that I can tell her about?

Thanks!

Post Likes
    I would suggest she look in the local classifieds for a "handy" man , or hire a husband - no job too small etc or call a company that does sheet metal
    www.vetopropac.com - The best tool bags on the market - The offical tool bag of choice by techs everywhere

Arguing with some people is like wrestling a pig - eventually you realise the pig actually enjoys it

Gonads serve a useful purpose but are no substitute for brains

Post Likes

Click On The Link

Originally posted by lisag
    Hi all,
    I just found out from my mom that one of her HVAC ducts has separated at a junction, pouring heat into her basement, instead of the duct work where it belongs. She's been trying to get someone to come out to repair the separation, but hasn't been able to find anyone yet...those she's called say they "don't do that kind of work." I find it hard to believe that she can't find someone near Monmouth Jct, NJ that can help her. Can anyone recommend a way for her to find someone that does small residential fixes like this? Are there any contractors on this website with a business near her or know of a company near her, that I can tell her about?

Thanks!
    I see some here near Monmouth, good luck... Contractor Ads In NJ

I bet if you told them you got their rffereal from HAVC-Talk they'd pay attention!!!!

[Edited by AllTemp on 10-25-2005 at 02:00 AM]
    AllTemp Heating & Cooling

Post Likes
    Until then, ever hear of duct tape? I once heard that the only thing it isn't good for is ducts but hey, you want a quick fix till the handyman can take over? Cut a piece of cardboard (thin type, easy to work with-cereal box thick) and tape it over the separation. It will keep the heat in.

No big deal if one register's run isn't fully sealed. I would think most air would still get to the room.

Post Likes

Well...

I would try it myself, if I lived nearby, but I don't...and I think at 75 and not particularly "handy", mom would balk at the idea of duct taping cardboard in place. I also don't know exactly what the situation looks like and would prefer someone from a HVAC company look things over and then fix it right.

Thanks for the link...I'll check it out.

Post Likes
    No offense to the tread starter, and by posting here you will get result.

Give your mother my best regards.

But this brings up a sore point in me.

How many times have we gone on calls that the elderly person had suffered with an HVAC problem, could not do anything for them selves and the person's family "Had to much to do to get involved".

But when the elderly person finally manages to make a call to a local company and some compassionate tech comes out and gives them good reasonbly priced service, the "family"
    suddenly has nothing to do any longer and call the tech or his company to crab that the guy ripped off their mother.
    Or better yet they were goin to fix themselves?

Post Likes
    No offense to the tread starter, and by posting here you will get result.

Give your mother my best regards.

But this brings up a sore point in me.

How many times have we gone on calls that the elderly person had suffered with an HVAC problem, could not do anything for them selves and the person's family "Had to much to do to get involved".

But when the elderly person finally manages to make a call to a local company and some compassionate tech comes out and gives them good reasonbly priced service, the "family"
    suddenly has nothing to do any longer and call the tech or his company to crab that the guy ripped off their mother.
    Or better yet they were goin to fix themselves?
    -------------------------------------------------------------

AND THEN the family WANTS TO SUE THE CONTRACTOR

I feel for the poster but what curry said is true . it is hard to believe they cant find someone to come out and make that simple repair

Post Likes
    there is a company called prision air in tranton that serves princetom and momouth juntio give them a call
    i am sure they will be willing to fix it. take out a preseason and have the unit serviced at the same time. sounds like it has been a while since it was serviced last

Post Likes

Thanks!

I've passed several contractor names on to my mom, so hopefully someone can assist her. If I lived closer than 4 hours away, I would drive down to look at it, but with work and home problems of my own (we got a LOT of rain up north!), it's impossible to make that kind of trip.

I've also been trying to get her to sign a contract with a reputable contractor (as I do for my home), so that they can check the system twice a year and also, so she can enjoy other aspects of a maintenance contract, like priority scheduling if there's a problem, etc. Maybe she'll listen to me now.

Post Likes

Re: Thanks!

Originally posted by lisag
    I've passed several contractor names on to my mom, so hopefully someone can assist her. If I lived closer than 4 hours away, I would drive down to look at it, but with work and home problems of my own (we got a LOT of rain up north!), it's impossible to make that kind of trip.

I've also been trying to get her to sign a contract with a reputable contractor (as I do for my home), so that they can check the system twice a year and also, so she can enjoy other aspects of a maintenance contract, like priority scheduling if there's a problem, etc. Maybe she'll listen to me now.
    Let me say lisag my comments were in no way pointed at you.

You sound lik a son who I would be proud to call my own.

This may begoing a little over boad but THNANKs for taking care of your mother so well.

damnit. Now everybody's gonna know I'm a sentimental softy.

Post Likes
    Lisa,

Tell your Mom to schedule a clean and check on her furnace and when the guy gets there ask him to take a look at it.

Post Likes

Thumbs up Help mom

Have her stop in the local hardware store or Home Depot and ask the sales person if they would like a side job.
    Just make shore she asked the person in the HVAC duct and sheet metal department. Not gardening or kitchen cabinets or something.

Post Likes

Re: Help mom

Originally posted by propmanage
    Have her stop in the local hardware store or Home Depot and ask the sales person if they would like a side job.
    Just make shore she asked the person in the HVAC duct and sheet metal department. Not gardening or kitchen cabinets or something.
    OMG... You are kidding right? I was going to type something but really I am speechless.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in