drove through a water puddle today

drove through a water puddle today

I hit a water puddle that was about 4-5 inches deep at 45-50 mph. The brake light and ABS light came on then the transmission started to shift hard. I stopped at a gas station and killed the engine for 15 minutes then restarted it the the brake and ABS lights were still on in addition the check engine light came on. As I drove it back to the shop the transmission was in safe mode, and no shift indicator on the dash, also all the driver info on the dash was blank. I think something got wet that shouldn't have. Its a 2010 GMC Savana 2500 with the 4.6 v8 and just hit 20k miles. Just wondering if their going to cover it under warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by acsolutionsllc View Post
    Just wondering if their going to cover it under warranty.
    I would hope its under warranty.. If a truck can't take a little puddle then you might as well sell it now..

Quote Originally Posted by acsolutionsllc View Post
    I hit a water puddle that was about 4-5 inches deep at 45-50 mph. The brake light and ABS light came on then the transmission started to shift hard. I stopped at a gas station and killed the engine for 15 minutes then restarted it the the brake and ABS lights were still on in addition the check engine light came on. As I drove it back to the shop the transmission was in safe mode, and no shift indicator on the dash, also all the driver info on the dash was blank. I think something got wet that shouldn't have. Its a 2010 GMC Savana 2500 with the 4.6 v8 and just hit 20k miles. Just wondering if their going to cover it under warranty.
    your state may pay for repairs. report it to the DOT.

In NYS, if a Pothole has been reported, it's the states responsibility to fix it. If you hit it after it's been reported, the state must pay for repairs
    BEING AN ADULT

is the dumbest thing I have ever done

It sounds like water got between the PCM and a loose wireing harness. If thats the case it will dry and you will be good in the morning. If it's still the same in the morning it sounds like the PCM went bad with a $1500 you better get it covered under warranty.

I drove thru a puddle at the Navy Yard, brake, abs, transmission and engine light came on. Also the van was almost impossible to stop. Got out and found I drove thru a large puddle of oil. Tried to report it and everyone blew me off. Called the 800 spill response number that's in the front of every phone book. Bet they wished they'd listen to me. BTW It was little over 4K for the repairs.

I think that you were driving in the rain is enough information for the dealer. I bet the underside is clean.
    Never argue with a crazy man.

It was in the shop all day today. The service advisor tell's it has a short in the wiring and there trying to track it down. He also tell's me he can't give me an estimate on the repairs yet. So with that I'm getting the impression that their planning on billing me for the repair's. Anyone up for a fight???

Sucks to be the guy working on that thing. I tied into a wireing harness on a 77 Jeep pickup. Same thing short in the harness somewhere I told myself never again it would have been easer for me to replace the wireing harness than go through 200 miles of wire.

Wow. Last guy I knew that went thru a big puddle fast sucked water in thru the air cleaner and slugged his engine and bent a couple rods , prolly torqued the crank too, and it was dead. Just like slugging a compressor

I checked in with the dealer today at 3:00 they tell me there is a short in the wire harness going to the transmission however the transmission will have to be removed to check it. It will be sometime next week before they can get to it. I told them I'm coming to get the van to go elsewhere. When I got it back to the shop I crawled under it to look around and found a big plug that came loose, I plugged it back in and magically the damn thing started working. The check engine light is still on, I'll have to clear the DTC's to get that to go off. But it drives and shifts fine.

Take it to an Auto Parts place and get the codes read. Don't let them tell you it's the Oxygen Sensor, MAF or EGR, etc. Ask for the letter and numbers. Google that number for you vechicle. If you think you fixed it you can pull the negative battery cable to reset the code. For Foreign cars you need to reset from the Scan tool.