Hybrid View

Hello:

I was wondering if the following differences between an XR80 vs XB80 are worth the price differential (not sure what the difference is)

Four-Speed Blower Motor
    Self-Diagnostic Microelectronic Controller
    Heavy Steel Cabinet
    Durable Adaptive Silicon Nitride Hot Surface Igniter
    Upflow Models Have Hinged Blower Doors, Easy-Open Door Latches, and Spring-Loaded Filter Rack
    Insulated Cabinet

XB is a cheaper furnace,kinda like a Ford and a Mercury,the things you listed I think are about it.XB does not have a bottom pan open below fan,we use XB on track houses only.I think with all your post you gotta be close. Pick the contractor, as the post say the equipment is important part but not the BIGGEST part. put the guys name up if he is good we will guide you,you saw what the guy said about the Newark guy,you get what you pay for. I want a really cheaper price installed by the BEST company.One of the 2 you will get but never both.
    It's NOT the BRAND,it's the company that installs it!!!!!

Having the silicon nitride ignitor is the biggest issue. I won't even offer for sale a furnace with a silicon carbid ignitor.

I really wouldn't even considder anything with less than 2 stages of heat also. The price difference between the XR80 and the XL80 is fairly low too.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

2 stage not needed because

I think a 2 stage furnace is not needed because I'm considering a heatpump.

HPguru: yes... I'm no longer looking at just the lowest bidder. I want the company to be there and respond if I have problems.

Currently the top place, not only in price, but in terms of the "bid" process is:
    Glazar Bro's (Trane)

The following are in no particular order:

Calvert (good sales guy - supposed to get their quote for Trane/York tomorrow)

D&T (supposed to get their quote for American Standard tomorrow) - Its a small company with 3 people but he had some of the best suggestions. Such as some minimal duct work (adding some louvered returns closer to the floor) that he could do that would greatly reduce the temperature differential in the basement and in the main Living room which has 10 or 11 ft ceilings. No one else even bothered to think these through.

AirFlow (Payne) - one of the lower bids

Would Oliver still be interested in throwing their hat in the ring? pl. give me a call 302-345-9444 I'm making a decision this weekend.

Thanks
    -Shaum

Of that group Glazar will be the cheapest, I had to go out on a Calvert job for a guy who posted here a while back, they gave him a cheap price but the job looked like it was done on the side( duct taped alot).I had him e-mail them a PUNCH LIST and they were mad and he got money back and upgraded his warranty to 10 years p+L.I do not know the D&T guys, Glazar is an OLD name and the guys who started it are gone and dawn the daughter runs it. they have always been on the lower end of the numbers game.I think that we would be the highest of that group and my guys would show their NATE card at the door.Calvert is a member of a nationial group that is a marketing based company and they sell with GLITZ.I just think with what you have I would be wasting your time.But my inspection offer still stands,in-laws live by cow place that sells ice cream.What's the set-up XR12 with XR80???
    It's NOT the BRAND,it's the company that installs it!!!!!

Thanks a lot for your help!