Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I am conversant with gas and a/c and also heat pump repairs, installs etc But I know very little about oil furnaces and I have some questions.
    I am in British columbia Canada (vancouver region to be precise)
    There at this time is no natural gas available to me (Yet maybe next yr if the neighbourhood survey goes well)

I have a 2000 sq ft home not including the basement/crawlspace built in the mid fifties with newer double glazed windows.

1. how much oil can I expect to comsume with a tstat temp set on 67 deg 24 hrs a day.

I called a oil supply co and they said over a year approx 2000 litres on average so thats according to them around 160.00 yr at current fuel prices

2 is home heating oil essently disel oil with some additives?

I do intend to add to the attic insulation as money permits after I put the heat pump in
    www.vetopropac.com - The best tool bags on the market - The offical tool bag of choice by techs everywhere

Arguing with some people is like wrestling a pig - eventually you realise the pig actually enjoys it

Gonads serve a useful purpose but are no substitute for brains

First step is to calculate your heat loss.
    The way we build has a greater impact on our comfort, energy consumption and IAQ than any HVAC system we install.

http://www.ductstrap.com/

Here in the US, that's about 530 gal of oil, which seems low. Maybe you mean $1600/yr as heating oil cannot be only 30 cents a gallon. Heating oil is diesel with less attitives for gelling, etc. #2 heating oil probably has more sulpher then diesel.

thats 1.069 dollars per litre of heating oil

no I'm too lazy to do a heat load calc and I can't see the relavence at this point as I'm just switching to a heat pump in the same house

The oil furnace heats ok and I have figured the oil comsumption at approx 7 liters per day (1 .75 us gallons)
    www.vetopropac.com - The best tool bags on the market - The offical tool bag of choice by techs everywhere

Arguing with some people is like wrestling a pig - eventually you realise the pig actually enjoys it

Fuel consumption is proportional to heat loss and degree days. Relevant if you want to know how much fuel you will typically burn.
    The way we build has a greater impact on our comfort, energy consumption and IAQ than any HVAC system we install.

Soory yes your right.
    I based my present consumption from the fact when we had the oil tank replaced we had a guage installed and it was at 1/2 tank now its 1/4 tank we have had the furnace on since early-mid september and its nearing the end of october now

Would any one like to throw me more info?

Waiting on your heat loss kiwi boy

[Edited by Carnak on 10-25-2005 at 05:07 PM]

Ok I will do it but it will be a little while as I'm up to my armpits in S#it with my new job

In PA we use 3 tanks 275 with a/c .5 to 1 with h/p BIG BREAK on eletric rate 6 cents with hp VS 15 OCT 15 to May 15.HP only way to go with LP or oil, even some natural gas people have been going HP.
    It's NOT the BRAND,it's the company that installs it!!!!!

My 2000 SF 8 Year old home in Connecticut used 200 gallons or 800+ liters a month In Mid winter so you will have to pony up some$$$$. I know i will be spending $2.00+ per gallon thats all!
    Aire Serv of SW Connecticut- Gas heat, dual fuel and central a/c systems installed and serviced

My 2000 SF 8 Year old home in Connecticut used 200 gallons or 800+ liters a month In Mid winter so you will have to pony up some$$$$. I know i will be spending $2.00+ per gallon thats all!

My burner (boiler) uses 1.1 Gallons per hour, and when cold it runs alot.
    Aire Serv of SW Connecticut- Gas heat, dual fuel and central a/c systems installed and serviced

You do the math. Consider the fact you will use NO oil any time it is above 38 degrees (f)outside. (38 is my hypothetical balnce point, but you need to know heat loss and heat pump capacity to determine the real number.)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast