I have a newly installed Trane dual fuel system. Last night at 3am a loud humming from the utility room awakened me. I found the heat pump was running, and the blower was not. The temperature at the point where the outside lines run into the furnace was hot enough to burn my finger. I then turned off the system via the thermostat and turned on the fan only. The blower starts it slow ramp up and after about ~4 seconds it stops. Then the whole furnace goes into a 3 second shutter every ~10 seconds. Allowing the heat pump to operate even though the blower is not on seems to be a design flaw. What if the backup gas heat were to come on? Would it have gone into an overtemp on/off cycle? What if I was away for the weekend when this occurred? I have called the installer, but should I also contact Trane? Also, there was a moderate vibration of the blower after installation. I informed the installers but was told there was no issue at this time.

contact the installer , they will be the ones to repair it . Trane knows how their furnaces operate

No design flaw, what I am wondering is why hasnt the HPS tripped? Sounds like an ECM that has lost it's program.

The service rep just left. The ECM does appear to have lost it's programming and will be replaced this evening. Secondary heat was not called for and perhaps the heat pump did not raise the temp enough to trip the overtemp circuitry. It appears that the heat pump will run forever or until the heat demand turns on the gas.

there must not be a high pressure switch.