+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Siemens Insight

Post Likes

Siemens Insight

I posted this earlier I thought, but looks like the packet gnomes have ganked it.

I am looking for any information concerning Siemens Insight 3.8.1. I am new to this platform and I am looking for info. I have a customer that has added some equipment to their facility and they would like to add it to their existing controls.

What avenue could I use for the purchase of the controller?

What software should I look for on the local machine to configure/commission the added controller?

Thanks.
    He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask any questions is a fool forever.

Post Likes

Siemens Insight

You can purchase parts from www.automationpartswarehouse.com
    They sell used Siemens parts. They are tested and come with a 1 year
    warranty. I have used them and they are very helpful and the parts are in good working order.
    You will need to determine how the points are going to connect. Are you going to put them in a BLN device such as an MEC or MBC? or are you going to add them via an FLN device such as a tec, UC, PXM etc.
    If you are going to put them on an FLN you need to make sure that one of the controllers has an FLN port and that all of the available addresses (0-31) are not used.
    If there is an insight frontend on the system, then all you need is a high enough authority to run System Profile, PPCL Editor and Point Editor. With these three applications you can add the hardware to the system, create the points and add any custom programming you desire.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by smokeout View Post
    I posted this earlier I thought, but looks like the packet gnomes have ganked it.

I am looking for any information concerning Siemens Insight 3.8.1. I am new to this platform and I am looking for info. I have a customer that has added some equipment to their facility and they would like to add it to their existing controls.

What avenue could I use for the purchase of the controller?

What software should I look for on the local machine to configure/commission the added controller?

Thanks.
    Insight 3.8.1 is pretty old. They're up to 3.11 now. If you buy FLN device (TEC...) the only way you can address it is by using WCIS, Datamate or Voyager. If you don't have one of these item, the part you buy will be useless since you can't address them.

Post Likes
    The area that I would to add the TEC has two TEC's existing in the same room. It looks like I have the ability to copy an existing TEC, with like points. Or add and configure form the pane on the left side. Is it that simple? I would assume not. I didn't spend too much time in the system.
    He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask any questions is a fool forever.

Post Likes
    I am not sure if I had any of those software components. I would assume they exist externally of Insight?

Post Likes
    The area that I would to add the TEC has two TEC's existing in the same room. It looks like I have the ability to copy an existing TEC, with like points. Or add and configure form the pane on the left side. Is it that simple? I would assume not. I didn't spend too much time in the system.
    The FLN devices have to have a unique address. If two device on the same FLN have the same address they fail on you.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by superfliez View Post
    The FLN devices have to have a unique address. If two device on the same FLN have the same address they fail on you.

Certainly.

Where would the software that you spoke of be located within the host machine? Does it reside internally of Insight? Or is it an external program?

Post Likes
    Certainly.

Where would the software that you spoke of be located within the host machine? Does it reside internally of Insight? Or is it an external program?
    They're not part of the insight software. You have to buy them separately.

Post Likes
    You will need to look at the System Profile and see the addresses of the devices in that area that are on the same FLN as the device you are adding. You can use addresses 0-31 and you sill use the available address to setup your TEC. You can add that address (Lets just say 31 for grins) and just for grins its on FLN 2 in panel 1. You will need to add that TEC to the Systems Profile at the Insight, or you can add it at the panel with Terminal mode on your computer. You will also need to know the com speed to establish communication with the panel. Most use 9600. Depending on the controller you have there are two ways to add the TEC at the panel. One, which is a more recent panel and most likely you have, is under Application, FLN device, add. You can skip the app number and use english units, you will need to know the panel number, FLN, and TEC address. You will need WCIS or CIS to address the TEC.

Post Likes
    Depending upon the insight version and TEC type 1/8th load or 1/4 load you can have more then 32 devices on a single FLN, field support does not recommend more then 54 on an single FLN at the current time. In the newer series field panels you can also use FLN addresses up to 254. Just a little FYI

Post Likes
    All TEC's operate at 4800 baud. Nothing more, nothing less.

Post Likes
    Actually thats not true. They have adjustable communication settings now. They got rid of TEC's for DXR's but have since brought them back in limited production.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by juke View Post
    Actually thats not true. They have adjustable communication settings now. They got rid of TEC's for DXR's but have since brought them back in limited production.
    Revisiting a thread from 10 years ago to prove your point. That take moxie! We’ll done sir, well
    done.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in