Post Likes
    What reasons could there be for not oversizing a modulating condensing boiler (aside from cost). If a boiler has a 5:1 turn down ratio what is the difference in buying a 100k btu or a 200k btu unit? After all, the unit is going to modulate its firing rate for the heating demand isnt it? I can understand the reasons to not oversize a standard boiler but if you unit is modulating and resetting on OA where is the downside?

Post Likes
    Same question holds true for wanting to oversize, why?
    How about low fire rates, do they not go up with a higher peak btu unit? Kind of a silly question IMO, unless you don't mind throwing money away.
    Proud supporter of Springfield Millers and Oregon Ducks.

Post Likes
    Good point, but in reality 80% of 230k is 46k. I dont think you can even buy a boiler that small. Im guessing that even in the late spring and early fall most New York residents in a 4000 Sq' use more heat than that. My point is; isnt it better to have the extra capacity now for a couple of extra $ and maybey not need it or to need it and not have it.

Post Likes
    You will have to size the boiler components for the max BTU's. Anyone want to buy a 1.5 or 2" Spirovent?

Size it for the load. IF you have a 80K load now, and are going to add 20K possibly in the future, it would be foolish to get a 200K boiler.