Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Originally posted by moonman1
    The trigger point for the t'stat is probably 1+ degree. If you adjust the setpoint of the t'stat 2 degrees below the indicated room temp, does the unit come on? If so then the discussion of your t'stat should focus on it's sensitivity and ability to bring the sytem on at temp. less than or equal to 1 degree F. Read the IOM carefully to see if a cycling adjustment can be made to improve t'stat performance. Running the furnace blower continuosly can cut the deadband thermal discomfort that you are experiencing.
    Another silly question (sorry):

What's the IOM? Is it the Installation and Operating Manual?? If so, I assume you mean the one for the furnace. Correct?

Thanks again!

Correct on IOM...for the thermostat.
    If a day went by without a problem - there'ld be a problem.

there are no silly questions for a true novice like your self
    good luck dude you are on the steep path of learning
    www.vetopropac.com - The best tool bags on the market - The offical tool bag of choice by techs everywhere

Arguing with some people is like wrestling a pig - eventually you realise the pig actually enjoys it

Gonads serve a useful purpose but are no substitute for brains

[QUOTE]Originally posted by eapples
    [B][QUOTE][i] Fortunately for me, I sold the house and the new owner has to deal with the problem...it was a real slow leak and the problem didn't reappear until about a year after the house was sold [2000].

And I bet you don't feel the slightest of guilt about that either......you were probably laughing all the way to the bank...

Measure the air temp by the stat with a thermometer
    The way we build has a greater impact on our comfort, energy consumption and IAQ than any HVAC system we install.

http://www.ductstrap.com/

Hmm

The tech came and said I need a new hot surface ignitor. Does that sound right?

Originally posted by truenovice
    Well, if he replaces it and the furnace works, I will agree.

Originally posted by ryan_the_furnace_guy
    Originally posted by truenovice
    Well, if he replaces it and the furnace works, I will agree.
    But does it sound like a reasonable solution?

If the ignitor doesn't work the furnace won't heat. They do go bad once in a while.

Your heating problem has nothing to do with your past cooling problems, I would hope that the tech changed the hot surface ignitor and the problem is solved. It is really quite a common problem with newer furnaces. Used to be much more of a problem than it is now. Ignitors are much more durable than they used to be. Still they do go on occasion.
    "Go big or Go Home"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12