Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hi all,
    Well my saga continues. We have had three HVAC companies in to look and two suggest the only option is to duct through the attic. However the third said he would refuse to do that because our feet would still be freezing in the winter (we live in upstate NY). He suggested direct vent wall furnaces throughout the house (maybe four in all). I am trying to do some research about how well they would heat in a below zero climate but have found nothing. Does anyone have any experience with this type of system?
    Thank you in advance for all of your help...because boy do we need it!!
    Still desperate in Albany, NY!!

does your house have a basement?

Confused

Quote Originally Posted by PandP View Post
    Hi all,
    Well my saga continues. We have had three HVAC companies in to look and two suggest the only option is to duct through the attic. However the third said he would refuse to do that because our feet would still be freezing in the winter (we live in upstate NY). He suggested direct vent wall furnaces throughout the house (maybe four in all). I am trying to do some research about how well they would heat in a below zero climate but have found nothing. Does anyone have any experience with this type of system?
    Thank you in advance for all of your help...because boy do we need it!!
    Still desperate in Albany, NY!!

Quote Originally Posted by superfittertech View Post
    does your house have a basement?
    The section of ductwork that is rusted out that needs to be replaced is under a concrete slab that is inexcessinble. We have a basement in only 1/3 of the home.

PandP I bought my first home two years ago in the Utica area. I'm currently having the same problems. I have decided to fill in the lines and go through the attic. This is the most common advice I'm getting around here. I want to do most of the work myself with oval ducts using closets to hide work. Problem once I let a tech know this they don't want to give out advice or plans. Was told to do it by a tech was $13,000 and he has done a few. I've priced furnaces and the ducts and it would be less than $3000 to do it myself. Let me know if you or anyone else knows how to fill the ducts and the correct size furnace needed. Thanx j

gmteam, this site does not give out DIY advice. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by gmteamracing View Post
    PandP I bought my first home two years ago in the Utica area. I'm currently having the same problems. I have decided to fill in the lines and go through the attic. This is the most common advice I'm getting around here. I want to do most of the work myself with oval ducts using closets to hide work. Problem once I let a tech know this they don't want to give out advice or plans. Was told to do it by a tech was $13,000 and he has done a few. I've priced furnaces and the ducts and it would be less than $3000 to do it myself. Let me know if you or anyone else knows how to fill the ducts and the correct size furnace needed. Thanx j
    Those additional costs are not invented. They reflect experience in overcoming challenges in re-ducting a house that you probably aren't even aware of. Not to mention the additional supplies that you didn't calculate into the cost because you dont price out duct systems regularly. IF you choose to do it yourself, be forewarned: It will be harder than it looks, it will be more expensive than you think. I recommend going with a pro.
    It's not rocket-science...

It's electromechanical thermodynamic engineering

Look into duct liners for your original ducts.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12