New Installation
    Ok, I am looking for some professional advice. I am replacing an original 1955 radiant heat system with the piping in concrete slab. Last year during a bathroom remodel, I encountered at least one tube corroded thru and thru. I have received several estimates for removing old boiler from my kitchen and installing a new forced hot air system and Central A/C.

Of the three contractors, only one of them took measurements of each room, noted windows, doors, etc. The other two just explained that it was a standard ranch and sized their estimates that way. My dilema is the firm that did took the measurements speced a 66,000 BTU and a 2.5 ton AC unit. The other two speced a 100,000 BTU unit and a 3 ton AC unit. From your experiences, should I trust the guy that took the time to do the heat load calc or should I question why he is so undersized compared to the other guys. All three were using 80% Eff furnaces but the smaller unit was to be a variable speed/two stage furnace. And all three were proposing 14 SEER AC units.

For reference, the house is a one story ranch, no basement, unit to be mounted in the attic with two returns, one at ceiling height and another at floor level.

Also, what is the general consensous on a) Air Cleaner and b)Humidifier....are they truly needed and can they be added easliy at a later date.

Thanks in advance for your recommendations.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    I'd trust the one that did the calculations.Now it's worth mentioning that the competition "sized" it larger,just to hear his response,which I'd hope would make you more confident that he's correct.

Plus ask how they are going to size the ducts .The correct answer is Manual D from, http://www.acca.org .If the ducts are not sized correctly the system will be uncomfortable,inefficient,and unlikely to live to be a teenager.

Shame to get rid of radiant heating. Any thoughts of getting a wall hung gas boiler to some baseboard run around the house or to an air handler in a closet. This way you can put a humidifier on the air handler without worry of freezing. How do you make domestic hot water?

Thanks for responding so quickly.
    Proposal calls for ducts to be sized correctly for system....i will have to inquire some more.

Believe me, I hate losing the radiant, my feet on the bathroom tile will never be the same, but at this point i think it is just to risky. Before I bought the house, the previous owner installed a 40g NG water heater in the garage, but I think the bolier is still in the loop, so who ever does the install will need to close that loop when they remove the boiler.

Any crawl space: a great way to get your radiant back. Or an easy way to pipe some panel rads and baseboard. I would look to puting the boiler in the garage also. A Wall hung boiler would require little space. You might think about hanging the air handler in the garage and ducting into the attic as an option.