Thread: recommendations pro/con on new furnace

Post Likes
    I plan to buy and install a new furnace within the next few days. It is for a lower apartment, 800 s.f., that has little insulation. I am replacing a 50 year-old furnace that is oversized, so anything will reduce my tenant's heating bills. I was thinking about a lower effeciency furnace (80%-84%) because of the potential reliability of having fewer parts, and also because the apartment is small.

Any recommedations on brands, either pro or con? I installed a Rheem for the upper unit about 10 years ago, and am very happy with it. I am not sure if the heating suppliers I am dealing with this time carry that brand.

Thanks.

Post Likes
    Any brand will do.

Post Likes
    Ya, the cheapest one is the best for you right? Try the back door of a local supplier, or scratch and dent at the front door if they will sell to you. Or Home Depot, Wall Mart, and even the internet. Installing yourself? Won't have to worry about warranty either.

Post Likes
    Like Beenthere said, any brand will do. The important thing is to get a good installer, preferably one that comes recommended if possible.
    All Seasons Heating & Cooling

Post Likes
    I plan to buy and install a new furnace within the next few days

You missed his first line.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by MikeJ
    I plan to buy and install a new furnace within the next few days

You missed his first line.
    Opps.. my bad...
    All Seasons Heating & Cooling

Post Likes
    Does the hawk need an eye exam? oops, my bad, sorry. haha

Post Likes
    Ya, the cheapest one is the best for you right? Try the back door of a local supplier, or scratch and dent at the front door if they will sell to you. Or Home Depot, Wall Mart, and even the internet. Installing yourself? Won't have to worry about warranty either.
    Mike,

Your reply wasn't too helpful, and you missed the point of my message.

I'm not looking for the cheapest furnace, but don't see the point of purchasing the model with the highest efficiency, for an apartment that will have a total. yearly, gas bill of about $1,200. If I install (or have installed) a furnace with, for example, 10% greater efficiency, how long will it take to recoup the extra expense for the unit, as well as for the maintenance? Do you always recommend the more efficient units, regardless of the circumstances?

With regard to the do-it-yourself installation: I have installed furnaces before, and the simple situations, such as this one, don't necessarily call for a professional. I have the instruments for measuring air flow, temperature, etc., and am careful when installing the furnaces.

You could liken it to car repair. Some things are do-it-yourself, and others aren't. (By the way, I have rebuilt engines, used calipers to measure pistons and cylinders, and replaced differential gears.)

I know I am not qualified to install very furnace in every situation, or to do the troubleshooting that you might be able to, I think I have the knowledge to know if I am over my head.

Post Likes
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by pendleton
    [B]

I know I am not qualified to install very furnace in every situation, or to do the troubleshooting that you might be able to, I think I have the knowledge to know if I am over my head.

Then go to HD and buy it, Install it and have fun. Gas prices are going UP UP & UP and your going 80% Do It, Have fun

Post Likes
    Sorry we can't give advice to DIYers on equipment selection or installation.....unless you tell us that you have Cancer. Then we will feel sorry for you and help.
    "And remember my sentimental friend......that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others" - Wizard of Oz.

Post Likes
    A piece of advice it to let you know that ther is no 84% furnaces. And 90% furnaces are no worse than 80s when they break. Ifyou are going to use a contractor stick to the 90.

As far as quality most guys have their prefrences and, mine is westinghouse who have a very strong policy of not selling to the unlicensed.

Post Likes
    your request is accademic because no high quality manufactor will sell to just any one. must be a dealor, go to a public supply house and get what they will sell you
    have fun and good luck with warrenti

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in