Thread: Tomatoes

Tomatoes

Anyone grow them?
    I have a small, about 2 foot high plant, with four tomatoes at the base of the stalk.
    They are about 3/4 the size of baseballs, and have not grown any bigger for almost two weeks, nor have they changed colors.

Be patient, it takes FOREVER for the first ripe tomatoes. I have 26 plants in the garden, I have been telling myself "any day now" for weeks. Still no color.

Feel your tomatoes. Before they turn red, they soften. This is the "break stage." Once they reach break stage, you can pick them, and put them in a paper bag with a banana to speed ripening. Or, just wait.
    Jason

Quote Originally Posted by stonewallred View Post
    Anyone grow them?
    I have a small, about 2 foot high plant, with four tomatoes at the base of the stalk.
    They are about 3/4 the size of baseballs, and have not grown any bigger for almost two weeks, nor have they changed colors.
    This is my first year for tomatoes. I planted in May. I'm live in the mid-west.

My (two) plants are over 6 feet tall and about 5 feet in diameter. Two differant varieties. One plant is full of (green) tomatoes and one is full of flowers.

I don't exspect ripe tomatoes until Aug-Sept.

Quote Originally Posted by George2 View Post
    This is my first year for tomatoes. I planted in May. I'm live in the mid-west.

My (two) plants are over 6 feet tall and about 5 feet in diameter. Two differant varieties. One plant is full of (green) tomatoes and one is full of flowers.

I don't exspect ripe tomatoes until Aug-Sept.
    Ive been planting madders for years and mine are in the same condition. I do not use any fertilizer or chemicals of any kind. Just nice dark balanced soil.

George2,

When you discribe the tomato plants as 6 feet, that's astounding. What do you put in the soil to make them so big?

BTW, take off the suckers. When the tomato plant has large green tomatoes, cut off all new leaves. That will send the nutrients to the tomatoes, not new leaf growth.

I don't know much about tomatos but I use to farm 12,000 acres of wheat, corn, beans, and sugar beats. When the heat heat was high growth and devolopement would be stunted.

Quote Originally Posted by lortech View Post
    George2,

When you discribe the tomato plants as 6 feet, that's astounding. What do you put in the soil to make them so big?

BTW, take off the suckers. When the tomato plant has large green tomatoes, cut off all new leaves. That will send the nutrients to the tomatoes, not new leaf growth.
    I live in the mid-west (good soil) and in town. I just mixed peat with my existing soil.

I planted early. We had pretty good rain fall until recently. We haven't had rain for 3 weeks and now it's hot as h.

I grow a lot of tomatoes for canning .......... I use a lot of miracle grow. Pretty much use it every 2 week, seems to help a lot. I make a lot of compost all summer long and that goes in the garden before winter so its there ready next year. Just run the mantis through it and I,m ready to plant