Thread: % who get annual checkup?

Post Likes
    Just wondering what % of people get their HVAC system checked up every year, what would be your guess? --jAmEs

Post Likes
    Originally posted by univmd
    Just wondering what % of people get their HVAC system checked up every year, what would be your guess? --jAmEs
    Uni: In my younger days I firmly believed in the adage "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." I have since learned, particularly with hvac equipment, that it pays to have the unit checked regularly and serviced as needed. I am not a hvac person, but my answer to your question would be that most people probably don't even think about their hvac equipment until something malfunctions.

Post Likes
    I agree with this asessment.

Lots of people (family, friends) think Im nuts for paying for a yearly service contract that also includes a yearly cleaning/checkup.

I call it peace of mind. I dont even look at it as paying for a checkup, I look at it as paying for a contract that says my oil company will come out within 24 hours of a no-heat call. With a little one on the way, I feel much more comfortable knowing that I can have someone check out the unit ASAP if the heat goes out. The yearly checkup is a bonus, but with oil Ive always been under the impression its required. Ive seen people with gas say they never need a yearly checkup or cleaning, but with something as volatile as gas Id have a certified person come out and look at it regardless of how "dirty" it might be.

-Chris

Post Likes
    I get mine checked every 6 months: One for Heating and one for cooling.

Post Likes
    I figure for what I have invested in my system an annual checkup is money well spent. I'm scheduled for Nov 11 @8:00am.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by york_hvac
    I get mine checked every 6 months: One for Heating and one for cooling.

This is the best method. Once in the spring, once in the fall. Can save you alot of headaches, and problems can be caught before severe weather kicks in.
    If everything was always done "by the book"....the book would never change.

Post Likes
    What pisses me off is, at least 1 or 2 times a winter I'll go on a service call and it's just a fouled flame rec. sensor. then I look on the return air drop and see some bozo signed off on doing a clean and check recently. My question is , what did he clean and just what did he check?
    Some people swear by me and some at me

Post Likes
    Originally posted by tim fox
    What pisses me off is, at least 1 or 2 times a winter I'll go on a service call and it's just a fouled flame rec. sensor. then I look on the return air drop and see some bozo signed off on doing a clean and check recently. My question is , what did he clean and just what did he check?
    If this concerns you, and you're in the industry, think about us guys who aren't in the business and have to deal with this stuff. How do we know whom to trust?

Post Likes
    i would say maybe 1 percent get seasonal maintance done
    alot done understand the inportance and think it is hipe
    if we could get it to even ten percent we would have plenty of work during the day and a lot less work after hours

Post Likes
    to eapples, I feel for home owners like yourself in search of an honest contractor. All I can say is that you are a head of the game by comming to this site. Most of the guys here are top notch. I learn alot here.I've been at this trade 19 yrs. but there's always something to learn.Sometimes it's the guys right out of school that can show you something you didn't know or might have forgotten.But I digress.Find out if someone here is in your area. But also know that sometimes quality work comes at a price.Don't try to hold a true pro to some hack's news paper add price.The clean and check adds I see in my neck of the woods are cheaper than what I charge.But I realy do a text book clean and check [not a blower compartment vac. job and run with the check in hand.]
    Some people swear by me and some at me

Senior Tech Guest
    I do it whenever wifey makes me...she's nagging about filters right now...

Senior Tech Guest
    Originally posted by tim fox
    Call backs...money losers...he cleaned as little as possible and checked his undies weren't bunched up when he got up off his bucket...seen more than a few of'm in my day...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in