Thread: blower will not turn on in heat mode.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Likes
    The blower will not run on heat but will run in manual and on cool mode. The unit is a 1998 Bryant 373 LAV gas furnace. Any ideas? I have not gone in the attic to see if it there is a flame but I can hear the furnace click on.

Thank You,

David

Post Likes
    Set the t-stat to fan on for the time being (if you require heat) and call a technician.

Running the furnace without the blower can cause damage over time - or right away if the high limit switch just so happens to be faulty.

Post Likes

Welcome to HVAC TALK.

AMD gave you solid advice... and here is some more for you to think about.

When was the last time you had that unit cleaned and inspected?

Now you have a problem with the unit. Fuel costs are skyrocketing.

So why not call in a professional to repair the unit? While they are there they can clean and inspect your unit to insure a safe living environment for you and your loved ones. Not to mention, having an efficient running system could save you more than the cost of the service.

What's your safety worth? I'm guessing more than the repair bill.

Thanks for your understanding.

(we can't help DIY, due to site rules )

Post Likes
    Originally posted by neik
    The blower will not run on heat but will run in manual and on cool mode. The unit is a 1998 Bryant 373 LAV gas furnace. Any ideas? I have not gone in the attic to see if it there is a flame but I can hear the furnace click on.

Thank You,

David
    Why go to the attic? If there is flame you will feel some heat or hear it before it shuts off due to tripping on the high limit safety switch that is doing it's job. This switch is normally closed and opens when the temperature inside the furnace exceeds it's set temp. Trying to bypass it is dangerous and foolhardy so it is time to call in the experts and get a checkup of the whole system at the same time. (Not midnite, but regular business hours). At midnight I will change your limit and suggest you have a full service done. Then I go back home to bed and wonder why people don't have a tuneup at least every other year? Or know where their filter is?

Post Likes
    Originally posted by MikeJ
    Or know where their filter is?
    Filter, what FILTER?

Post Likes
    I do have service tech coming over tomorrow, and I do get my unit looked at in spring and winter. I was just asking for possible problems/suggestions so I could have somewhat of an understanding when he arrives. Thank You for the quick posts, and suggestions.
    David

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in