Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: York vs. Heil

I am in the process of putting a new heating and air system in my house, and was wondering if anyone could share their experience with me. I'm basically looking at a high efficiency gas furnace and a 2 1/2 ac unit. I have gotten quotes on both York and Heil systems, and they are within $300 of each other, with the Heil being the cheaper of the two. Cost is a consideration, so I'm likely going with a single stage unit on the furnace. My question is, are there any drastic differences that would give one the edge over the other, in general terms? The York dealer proposed using a Goodman condensing unit since it is cheaper and has a longer warranty. The second question is, is there likely to be any conflicts with using a York unit inside and a Goodman unit outside? It's pretty obvious I am a homeowner, and would like to get the opinion of someone other than a salesperson. Oh yeah, my gut feeling is the York seller would do a more profeesional installation job, but it is just a gut feeling. Anyone's input is greatly appreciated.

I personally don't like mismatched equipment, but the installer's skill is the key to a good system.

Brand name is not important.

I work directly for the York factory as a technical trainer. I would hate to see you mix brands between the indoor and outdoor units. If you want the system to provide the rated efficiency you need to have matched equipment.

In addition, the equipment warranty is in question unless the equipment is matched properly. Our equipment is rated and warranty valid only if the indoor and outdoor units are of the same brand and matched properly.

If you go for the Goodman condenser, make sure that he installs a matched Goodman coil. If the blower provides sufficient airflow, I don't see why it would pose a problem.

York uses tubular heat exchangers, while heil generally uses clamshells (htexch); that's the only significant difference.

Note: I am not a technician. Please wait for someone to verify this.

That's a good point on the warranty, never thought about that. Maybe some Goodman guys out there would know if that would void the warranty. I have to make a decision in the next day or two, so I'll take anyone's opinion that will give it to me. Thanks!

Personally I am a fan of the Heil. Dont have experience with the York, so I cant address their quality.

What model Heil equipment are they quoting?

The quality of the installing contractor is of great importance!

I personally prefer Heil over York anyday. Have not cared for the Yorks I have worked on ( never installed any ). I do install 'Tempstar' which is the twin brother of the Heil and I will stand by it.

Richard

per the estimate, the furnace is a H9MPD075F12B and the A/C is a 12 seer 1#HAC230AKA, or at least that is what it looks like from the fax he sent me. I looked on the Heil website and could not tell which model series this was, so I would like to know that as well. I also have a 12 sq ft ranch with a finished basement in KY, with mediocre insulation. Looks like a 75,000 btu furnace which just seems a little small for my house, but he looked at what I had and guess he knows best. I know this model isn't the best on the market, but is it a pretty good unit? I'll probably be living here at least another 6-8 years. Thanks.

Uhmmmmm....make that a 1200 sq ft ranch, told you I was a novice!

H9MPD075F12B and the A/C is a 12 seer #HAC230AKA, 1200 sq ft ranch with a finished basement in KY.
    That is good equipment, however I feel it's a little on the big side.

Make sure they do a load calc on your home to properly size the equipment!

Also get the BEST installer you can find!

Depending on your utility rates you could possibly save a considerable amount of money by going with a HP (Heat Pump) system.

"In addition, the equipment warranty is in question unless the equipment is matched properly. Our equipment is rated and warranty valid only if the indoor and outdoor units are of the same brand and matched properly."

I assume you mean that indoor and outdoor means the coil and condensor must match. It shouldn't be a problem installing a Goodman coil and outdoor unit on a York furnace not invalidating the York warranty, right? If not, please let me know so I can steer clear of York.

Thumbs up

well, I decided to go with the Heil, not enough positive feedback on the York/Goodman combo. Thanks for everyone's input. This is about the only place on the web I could find with people who actually know what they are speaking of and could provided educated opinions. if anything good, bad or ugly happens after the intall, I'll keep everyone posted. Thanks again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast