I while back our company got a request to install 2 furnaces at a remodel. At the time we were too busy and had to turn the work away. more recently we were asked to install a high efficiency water heater at the same house. While installing the water heater i saw something that concerned me

there are two rheem 90% furnaces. they each are vented with 2 inch pipe, but halfway accross the ceiling a Y fitting was used to combine the two pipes into one 3 inch pipe. this pipe has a couple elbows and about 10 feet of pipe and then exits the house. on the outside of the house it was an elbow pointing down whitch ends about 2 inches above the ground.

Does any manufacture allow common venting on 90% models? these work fine, but im concerned about exaust from one unit backing up through the other when only one is running. since these take their combustion air from the basement, any gasses that back up would escape into the house.

should we recommend to the home owner that all of the venting be redone so each furnace is vented individually? obviosly if its a problem it should be fixed by the installing company, but judging by the rest of the work they look like hacks, so i doubt they will be coming back

Make the incorrect installation known to the owner. Offer to correct for them.

Doesn't sound like there's enough clearance from the termination of the pipe either.

Like said above, let them know about it. Either way document it on your ticket and log book to cya.

There is no condensing furnace on the market that I know of that does not require an independant vent.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Separate.

Sounds to me like you have a sale.

There's no way both systems are operating together that way, if they are...Holy Sh$T !!!

Craig1, referrence pages 17 and 20 of the Rheem/Rudd installation manual under vent pipe installation: "Do not common vent with any other appliance." This aplies to both Direct Vent and Non-Direct Vent applications. Can't be much clearer than that.

Got a digital camera? That should be good for the Wall of Shame!

A few years back there was a contractor that was cutting corners by tapping the flue vent into the vent stack for the plumbing. The furnaces worked fine with this setup until the jackass mistook a live sewer pipe for a vent line.

Yes; that was a ****ty furnace

That is just wrong. Some body was playing engineer and blew it.
    No common venting on 90%ers PERIOD.

Put two seperate exhaust systems in and add risers to them to get it above snow level.

Robo

Robo, I emailed you concerning a Goodman CLQ/AEPT Heat Pump Install. Did you get my email? Thanks, Bill in NC

Got it and responded.