Heat pump in hot weather
    I ask this question just out of curiousity (I alrdy ordered my system, a gas electric package unit):
    How effective are heat pumps in hot climates? I understand that they are good for places with relatively mild winters (like Tucson, AZ), but how about for places where summers are pretty extreme (like Tucson, AZ hehehehe).
    Again, I am just curious - sometimes I have an active mind (sometimes I don't though hehehehehe).

no bearing, same thing as an airconditioner, but will get slightly better seer ratings than gas or electric.

Hope this satisfies your curiosity. A heat pump operates exactly like central air conditioning in the cooling mode. So if a properly sized cooling system would satisfy the cooling load, then a properly sized heat pump would do the same.
    Everyone has a purpose in life..........even if it's to be a bad example.

Seek first to understand, before seeking to be understood.

significant difference?

Do you mean that a heat pump, properly sized, will provide the same amount of cool air, at the same temperature, as a regular air conditioner? Will it cool as fast as a regular AC?

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Originally posted by John Lloyd
    Hope this satisfies your curiosity. A heat pump operates exactly like central air conditioning in the cooling mode. So if a properly sized cooling system would satisfy the cooling load, then a properly sized heat pump would do the same.
    Even in Florida we need auxillary heat for a heat pump.So I hope you meant properly sized including aux. heat..

Dash,
    Do you mean that a heat pump will need help in cold winter days; that is, days below 35-40 degrees, or overnight, when temperatures can drop to the low 20s in Tucson?
    Thank you for your time.

No difference in performance other than the HP will aid in the process of heating your home.

Temps under 30-40 will normally require a backup source of heat or electric strips to supplement the heat pump.

Savings by use of a heat pump are normally tremendous depending on your utility rates.