Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Eastern PA
    Posts
    68,852

    Any Toastmasters?

    I joined a Toastmaster's club about a year ago. It is a lot different then I thought it was. I have been doing public speaking for decades and never realized just how much I could improve with proper coaching.

    The bottom line for me it is fun. I am learning how to structure my speaking better and even more importantly, how to make the most of a specific time period. Every minute of a Toastmaster's meeting is timed. That really makes you aware of how to structure what you have to say.

    Anyway, I would especially like to hear from anyone in the Lancaster PA area who may be interested in improving their public speaking skills. I am thinking about joining a second club that is in a decline. I would like to build it back up with mostly people in the HVAC business.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV


  2. #2
    Just what the world needs, more hot air, maybe thats the cause of global warming.


    Hey cockroach, don't bug me! ©

    www.AskTheDiceman.com

    www.TheColdConspiracy.com

    www.Pennwood-HVAC.Com

    Bring Em Home....

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Eastern PA
    Posts
    68,852
    Quote Originally Posted by Diceman View Post
    Just what the world needs, more hot air, maybe thats the cause of global warming.


    Actually, one of the things learned as a Toastmaster is to not be longwinded. Like I said, everything is timed. This is to get Toastmasters to focus on specific content of what needs to be said without rambling on.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV


  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Boise, ID
    Posts
    4,168
    Quote Originally Posted by RoBoTeq View Post
    Actually, one of the things learned as a Toastmaster is to not be longwinded. Like I said, everything is timed. This is to get Toastmasters to focus on specific content of what needs to be said without rambling on.
    And you just did.
    If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what will never be. (Thomas Jefferson 1816)

  5. #5
    Ever notice the longest, most boring speeches are when the guy starts out saying something like, "I'll make this short, I won't take up your time, I know you don't want to sit there listen to me drone on and on............."


    And then he does.
    Hey cockroach, don't bug me! ©

    www.AskTheDiceman.com

    www.TheColdConspiracy.com

    www.Pennwood-HVAC.Com

    Bring Em Home....

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Eastern PA
    Posts
    68,852
    Quote Originally Posted by Gib's Son View Post
    And you just did.
    Say what needs to be said or ramble on?
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV


  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Eastern PA
    Posts
    68,852
    Quote Originally Posted by Diceman View Post
    Ever notice the longest, most boring speeches are when the guy starts out saying something like, "I'll make this short, I won't take up your time, I know you don't want to sit there listen to me drone on and on............."


    And then he does.
    Like trying to get through one of those infomercial videos promising to tell you great news about something that no one else knows. I don't think I have ever got to the point with one of those things because I get so bored listening to the guy or gal tell me how fantastic what they are going to eventually tell me really is.

    Does anyone know if they actually tell you something, or in the end do you have to pull out a credit card to get that knowledge?
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV


  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by RoBoTeq View Post
    Like trying to get through one of those infomercial videos promising to tell you great news about something that no one else knows. I don't think I have ever got to the point with one of those things because I get so bored listening to the guy or gal tell me how fantastic what they are going to eventually tell me really is.

    Does anyone know if they actually tell you something, or in the end do you have to pull out a credit card to get that knowledge?
    It comes at the end, sorta like sex.

    If you need your credit card for that, you either in Nevada or breaking some laws.
    Hey cockroach, don't bug me! ©

    www.AskTheDiceman.com

    www.TheColdConspiracy.com

    www.Pennwood-HVAC.Com

    Bring Em Home....

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Eastern PA
    Posts
    68,852
    Quote Originally Posted by Diceman View Post
    It comes at the end, sorta like sex.

    If you need your credit card for that, you either in Nevada or breaking some laws.
    Or...you are married

    So, I take it that no one is familiar with Toastmasters?
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV


  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    7,711
    I looked into Toastmastes a long time ago cause I use to do a lot of training, talking and public speaking. I had nothing but appreciation for them and found them to be very professional. And they changed a lot of peoples professional and personal lifes for the better.

    But, for me, it was mainly a bunch of guys talking. And I don't typically join groups but that's more about me than Toastmasters.

    I think all of us should be required to join for at least one year. It should be in a states contractors licensing law.

    Every person would become a better contractor and business person just because of the simple increased abilitity to not only listen to another's point of view, but to be able to express our own points of view in an interesting and productive way.
    "The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers it can bribe the public with the public's own money.
    - Alexis de Toqueville, 1835

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Eastern PA
    Posts
    68,852
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltaT View Post
    I looked into Toastmastes a long time ago cause I use to do a lot of training, talking and public speaking. I had nothing but appreciation for them and found them to be very professional. And they changed a lot of peoples professional and personal lifes for the better.

    But, for me, it was mainly a bunch of guys talking. And I don't typically join groups but that's more about me than Toastmasters.

    I think all of us should be required to join for at least one year. It should be in a states contractors licensing law.

    Every person would become a better contractor and business person just because of the simple increased abilitity to not only listen to another's point of view, but to be able to express our own points of view in an interesting and productive way.
    I agree with the sentiment that everyone should participate in a Toastmasters club for one year. If you communicate with others by speaking to them in any capacity of life, Toastmasters can benefit you. And, it's fun.

    I belong to a college based Toastmasters now and would like to rebuild an existing Toastmasters club that is in decline with mostly persons in the building trades. I don't know of anyone in in the HVAC industry that could not benefit from Toastmasters. Whether you are in dedicated sales, needing to express technical information, working in a home or office where you need to communicate what you are doing or attending progress meetings in commercial/industrial venues, everyone can benefit from being able to speak more fluently.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV


  12. #12
    You gotta be kidding me, the toastmasters club of America.
    Hey cockroach, don't bug me! ©

    www.AskTheDiceman.com

    www.TheColdConspiracy.com

    www.Pennwood-HVAC.Com

    Bring Em Home....

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Eastern PA
    Posts
    68,852
    Quote Originally Posted by Diceman View Post
    You gotta be kidding me, the toastmasters club of America.
    It's actually Toastmasters International. I belong to one of several Toastmaster clubs in the Lancaster area, but all are under the jurisdiction of Toastmasters International; http://www.toastmasters.org/
    This is the club I belong to; http://www.fandmtm.org/index.php
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event