Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    We have noticed in the past month a very high humidity level in our home. I took a reading yesterday and it was 79% rh in the house. We have done nothing different in the past month that would cause this that I can think of. We tightened up the house with new windows and siding two years ago, other than that nothing new. We have an old stone foundation and the basement has always been damp. The weather has been mild reciently so we have had the windows closed and kept the furnace off. I checked the dryer vent, it is clear and hooked up. We do not have a bathroom exhaust vent. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for any help.

house to tight with new windows and siding? how many showers a day with no exhaust fan?

The temp is too cold. Warm up the space and the RH will go down.
    "And remember my sentimental friend......that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others" - Wizard of Oz.

Two maybe three showers a day and we open the bathroom window when we shower. The windows have been in for two years now with no problems up till now.

Details

Would you allow me to ask for all sorts of other humidity info: Is this a new instrument to measure humidity, or has it been in place for awhile?

What would have been the humidity in the equally mild weather this time last year? Can you say what it was in the period prior to this complaint? Can you quantify the temperature and humidity conditions in your basement? Is there any chance of attic ductwork developing a leak, which would change infiltration patterns? What are the temperature and humdity conditions outside?

I would agree that 79% is so high as to approach bizarre. Any answers you are able to offer, could be good clues.

Good luck -- P.Student

don't know about why now
    but..take grilles off bath fans and ascertain the fan blades are clean and housing dirt free.
    Bathroom fans can be a plugged up blade mess especially the "squirrel cage" variety.
    Most fans can be undone by two/three screws having uplugged the quick service disconnect power wire harness first of course.
    you can lift it down and out to clean/service it.
    In a pinch an old toothbrush cleans the blades
    As mentioned previously a cooler interior temperature breeds more humidity.
    Are you having the heat still off.
    temperature in building when this measurement taken?
    Also was the measurements with the same meter taken last time.
    At 79% I would suspect that oldy mould not far away-+.
    In any case mechanical bathroom ventilation is much in vogue to clear high bathroom humidity.
    it should be wired on SEPARATE switch so the light and fan operate independantly.

While a bathroom fan might be a good idea, the original poster did say:
    >> We do not have a bathroom exhaust vent.

You had said:
    >>mechanical bathroom ventilation... should be wired on SEPARATE switch so the light and fan operate independantly.

Why would you recommend this? I had earlier thought it would be a neat idea to have the two connected to the same timer. Perhaps a cadillac installation would have a motion detector and a 15-minute delay, or something like that. If this is a poor idea, hopefully I can learn my error before holes are cut and dollars are spent.

Best wishes -- P.Student

You could have tightened up the home like you are saying.

Maybe since it is cooling off, the house is just giving up moisture stored from the summer, if it persists into next month you may need a ventilation upgrade as house could be too tight.
    The way we build has a greater impact on our comfort, energy consumption and IAQ than any HVAC system we install.

http://www.ductstrap.com/

Ground is saturated from record rainfall?
    The way we build has a greater impact on our comfort, energy consumption and IAQ than any HVAC system we install.

Originally posted by Carnak
    Pretty good guess Carnak! My basement is running above 60% RH these days, with all of the rain fall. When I get my gas stove going and heat up the air, it drops below 60%.

Thorton

install gutters & extend downspout 10ft out
    slope ground next to house to have 5% grade= 5" drop in 10ft
    divert ground water with ditching
    have drain system outside of foundation, lower than foundation = do NOT disturb dirt under foundation! drain into sump with pump, if necessary.
    insulate & seal bsmt walls outside while ditch open -- insulate down to below frost line.

check RH% gauge in baggie with salt water solution = 75% after a few hours, else note difference in reading --
    get ~$10 gauge at reptile store
    harvest rainwater,make SHADE,R75/50/30= roof/wall/floor, use HVAC mastic,caulk all wall seams!

Originally posted by thorton
    Originally posted by Carnak
    Pretty good guess Carnak! My basement is running above 60% RH these days, with all of the rain fall. When I get my gas stove going and heat up the air, it drops below 60%.

Thorton
    You are dropping RH by raising the temperature, the amount of moisture in the air is the same.

Consider the effect of ventilation with cool rain. Ventilation is to purge indoor pollutants and replace oxygen. Ventilation is required when the home is occupied year around. Ventilation reduces indoor humidity when the outdoor dew point is 5-10^F below the desired inside 50-55^F dew point. Dehumidification is required during the rest of the year.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast