+ Reply to Thread

Thread: fcc & headmaster ?

Post Likes

fcc & headmaster ?

why would a 1 fan cond unit have both ? ... seen it recently & I couldn't quite put my finger on it ... system had no issues but while passing time on a dif unit I happen to gaze over & notice

Post Likes
    Sounds like a bad idea to me. There was some talk on here awhile back about manufacturers cycling one of two fans along with a headmaster to reduce refrigerant charge and gain some energy efficiency the months you don't need to be running it.

I've seen this setup a couple of times with a single fan using both a fcc and headmaster. There's just too much of a head pressure swing too quick. The two controls fight eachother. When I see this it tells me there's something wrong with the installation or there was a problem with the unit when it was new. Unless it was intentional by the manufacturer.

Any system with the properly sized reciever should work great with a condenser flooding device alone.

Post Likes
    thanks for reply ... all 5 units were set up the same, the 6th which was the only non original compressor didn't have the fcc ... guess that tech figured it wasn't necessary considering .

Post Likes
    I don't see the point if it myself.

That said, I have seen it more times than I care to count.

Post Likes
    I see that alot in my neck of the woods too. I do not know the reason myself why other techs do this. My best guess is they do not understand how a refrigeration system works and this was their best guess at a repair..? When I find a system like this I always explain it to the customer and make the appropriate repairs.

Post Likes
    So now I've run across this. The units were Trenton with factory Headmasters at 215# and fan cycling control set at 100# cut out and 180# cut in, R-404a. Comps are air cooled. They've been like this for a while, I assume.
    I want to raise the CFM to cut out at 10# above the Headmaster, like I've done for other units that had multiple fans. Except, what about the comp? The other units I've done were either gas cooled so it did not matter or had 2 or more CFM's and the one by the comp ran 100%.

Post Likes
    Back in the day ... I added a fcc to a walkin unit before i knew the facts. Now i look back i think i should have replaced the headmaster

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in