Thread: York Models

I have read many pages and not one time has there been a mention of the York models. My hvac guy carries York and Tempstar. I have used the hvac co. for 15 ears and like them very much. I am going to purchase a new heat and a/c soon and I was considering Trane, Bryant, and Carrier until I read that you all say to go with your installer. Could someone give me some feeback on the York brand?

Thank you for responding.

As good as any other brand.

Up to 18 seer for A/C.

Affinity is the top of the line York model.

Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

The company I work for used to be a york distributor so I work on york on a daily basis.I have found normal problems with the 80% furnaces just like everyone elses. The 90% from say 1990 upward were a disaster. Heat exchangers cracked*(clamshell) inducers failed continuously(impellers fell apart.Erratic control boards(ghost signals). Now there design is tubular heat exchangers, same inducer but with a new trap design and better boards. I haven't seen nearly the problems. I believe Tempstar has a stainless steel heat exchanger. I have not seen a stainless steel heat exchanger crack on anybodys furnace yet!!! They discolor but don't crack. Tempstar had trouble with their recoupe covers cracking on their old units but the new covers are either stainless steel or a gray phenolic that is really versatile. Parts on a york tend to be more expensive for us to purchase than other brands.ON Tempstar I have seen mainly inducer bearing failures(sealed pearmentlylubed ball bearing). Our purchase price on parts tend to be significantly lower on Tempstar. I'm not sure about warranties. Hope that Helps.

Thank you very much for replying. I have considered what you said very seriously.

What do you think of York's heat pumps instead of their a/c units? I live in southern Ohio. Which would you consider? It looks like the heat pump is about $800 more.
    Thanks

If your going higher then 13 seer, go with the York Affinity.

Other wise, Tempstar makes a real good heat pump.
    Contractor locator map

Thanks, but do you think a heat pump is a better way to go than the a/c units in southern Ohio, if we can afford it?

Whats your low temp for winter?

May want to consider duel fuel.
    Contractor locator map

I think a heat pump is good as long as you have gas furnace as your auxillary heat.
    Aire Serv of SW Connecticut- Gas heat, dual fuel and central a/c systems installed and serviced

0 degrees is usually the lowest.

The heat pumps are a different breed. The only problems I have seen and they were few were the temp switch that controlled low speed and high speed on the condenser fan were subject to fail after 4-5years. Every once in a while the condenser fan motor would fail. and everybody's capacitor fails with heavy thunderstorms when they get weak. I haven't worked on a tempstar heat pump as of yet. to me a heat pump with a fossil fuel kit is the way to go. You have the option of either heat pump or gas heat down to 35 degrees. The new heat pumps go even lower. The electric utility usually give people a break on their electric bill to have a heat pump. So I would do my research. You only plan to install once.

We get that cold also, and have heat pumps all over.

So they'll work in your area also.

Check your utility rates, and see if its better for you to go duel fuel, or use electric back up.
    Contractor locator map

Thank you guys so much. What a valuable resource HVAC-Talk is. I will let you know what I have decided soon.