Hello
    I have a proposal from a very reputable well established contractor that doesnt make sense to me. It is for a amana heat pump system. It calls for a RHE30C2A condenser and a AEPT030 variable speed coil. The part that doesnt make sense is it states it has 24,000 btuh nominal colling capacity and 14.5 seer. from looking at the spec sheet on amanas web site I dont see anything higher that 12 seer matched up to this air handler. Also in the brochure it states 8.6 hspf but in the spec sheet i dont see anything higher that 7.8hspf. Am i missing somthing? Am I just being too picky. I do trust this contractor, they have gone out of their way to help me out in the past when i had a previous system installed by a hack, however they are mainly a carrier dealer and i just cant afford a similar carrier system( there is a huge difference in price between similar systems)

also i insisted a variable speed air handler becuase i hate humidity. will a thermidistat control the fan speed on this air handler when i mainly just need humidity control

Thank you for any input
    Dan

The only variable speed air handler I see for this heat pump is the AEPT36;
    Unitary Air-Source Heat Pump
    Program & Product Identifier
    Date: 05/07/2004

Last Modified Date: 05/07/2004 at 06:03 PM

Obsolete: No
    Manufacturer: AMANA HEATING AND AIR CONDITIONING

ARI Reference Number: 487896

ARI Program: HP
    ARI Type: HRCU-A-CB

Trade/Brand Name: RHE Series
    NAECA Designation: Yes

Outdoor Model Number: RHE30C2*

Indoor Unit(s): AEPT036-00*-1*

Cooling Capacity (Btuh): 27800

SEER Rating (Cooling): 12.50

Heat Pump Only
    High Temp 47° F
    Heating Capacity (Btuh): 28000

Region IV HSPF Rating: 7.8
    Low Temp 17° F
    Heating Capacity (Btuh): 18000
    This unit will dehumidify with a lower blower speed when a standard humidistat indicates a rise in humidity.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

I just do not see the since in usuing the variable speed for humidity control. Wait to you have to replace that motor. With the blower still running after the outdoor unit cuts off you will continue to pull moisture off the coil and into the home, think about it, also a mold issue could begin to develop. I would do some more investigating. have the equipment sized right for your home and installed with a good duct system and let it run and run and satisfy the needs. Amana is good but close to the same as higher eff. Goodman since they are almost the same.

Keith Lohr I just do not see the since in usuing the variable speed for humidity cont

Variable speed it THE BEST way to controll himidity. As Robo said the blower controll is connected to a humidistat. When you call for cooling and the home is humid the blower operates at a reduced speed until the humidistat is satisified. Also the blower motor is much more effecient.
    Aire Serv of SW Connecticut- Gas heat, dual fuel and central a/c systems installed and serviced

I still beg the differ, here in N.C. we need no humidity per say in the summer it is to high as it is. The whole principal of cooling is humidity removal.

keith, please re-read the posts. You are not understanding what has been stated. Variable speed blowers are especially beneficial in an area like North Carolina.

Catch up to the present on variable speed technology, costs and dependability. Variable speed is the way to go and is going to completely replace the standard blower motors very soon.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV