Repair or replace Rheem ?
    Have a Rheem 90 Plus Gas furnace with air "piggy back" (don't know correct term). The unit is 9 years old. Had fall service check 3 weeks ago (no problems), turned on today for the first time this season, and NO HEAT. Flow chart in the manual says it's either the pressure switch, motor wiring or IDM motor.

We're very frustrated with this unit, particularly the AC. We're now on the 4th indoor coil. Also had gas valve replaced three years ago.

What is the average life of a gas unit with AC? Should we move forward with repair or get quotes for new? Time is of the essence, highs in the 50's, lows in the 30's here in PA.

Any feedback on repairing or replacing this unit is greatly appreciated.

I would at least have someone look at it. The a/c coils are not a problem with the furnace. Maybe the pressure switch is dirty or another minor problem which does not warrent a replacement.
    Aire Serv of SW Connecticut- Gas heat, dual fuel and central a/c systems installed and serviced

Originally posted by lionfan
    Have a Rheem 90 Plus Gas furnace with air "piggy back" (don't know correct term). The unit is 9 years old. Had fall service check 3 weeks ago (no problems), turned on today for the first time this season, and NO HEAT. Flow chart in the manual says it's either the pressure switch, motor wiring or IDM motor.

We're very frustrated with this unit, particularly the AC. We're now on the 4th indoor coil. Also had gas valve replaced three years ago.

What is the average life of a gas unit with AC? Should we move forward with repair or get quotes for new? Time is of the essence, highs in the 50's, lows in the 30's here in PA.

If you look in your owner's manual it will probably stipulate that annual maintenance should be performed. Many "nuisance" problems such as dirty sensors, burners, drains, motors, coils, etc. can be taken care of with an annual visit from your local service professional.

if you had it serviced a few weeks ago it would seem a call is in order. ac has nothing to do with the heat breaking. even if the inducer were defective the unit is 9 years old and has a lot of life left. one repair in 9 years isnt warrenting replacement. the ac is a differant storie. why so many coils

Originally posted by lionfan

Hey Lionfan,

Sorry about my original post. I missed the part where you said you just had it serviced. I was up for about 23 hours when I replied.

Check the breaker - make sure it is "fully" on.

Check the power switch at furnace - make sure it is "on".

Check your thermostat, especially if it is programmable - make sure it is in "heat" mode and on "hold" to override any funky programming that may be kicking in. Make sure the temperature is "way up".

Make sure the filter is clean.

Make sure the vents outside (pvc pipes) are not obstructed with debris - aka: leaves, rodents, paper, etc.

If you furnace has a fuse in the switch, you might want to try replacing the fuse. Make sure the breaker is "off" when you replace this fuse. Probably a 15a type.

Make sure the gas shutoff in the line going to the furnace is "open" (or parallel).

If all else fails, turn it off, wait ten seconds, turn it back on...wait a few minutes. Some systems have time delays and VS systems can run very quietly.

If this doesn't work call the company who serviced it. Explain the situation, tell them what you tried, if the technician is there, ask to talk to him and tell him instead. Schedule a service call. Understand that if they caused this, they will remedy it for no charge. Also, be prepared to pay for a service call, diagnostics, and repairs if their are problems. Sometimes "timing" is just a coincidence. I'm in over a thousands homes per year. And in about ten or twenty of them, once I leave, something immediately goes wrong. I would say about 50% of these customers think I sabotaged their equipment. it's just the odds.

Take care.