Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Grout not included?!

My contractor tells me that buying grout and sealer is not included in the installation. He's telling me that I have to use part of my tile allowance? Seriously?! What do you guys say?

Quote Originally Posted by timdrag View Post
    My contractor tells me that buying grout and sealer is not included in the installation. He's telling me that I have to use part of my tile allowance? Seriously?! What do you guys say?
    My question is what is a "Tile Allowance"? And will the grout and sealer, really affect it?

Btw- Did they do a manual J?

Quote Originally Posted by ascj View Post
    My question is what is a "Tile Allowance"? And will the grout and sealer, really affect it?

Btw- Did they do a manual J?
    This is the open discussion, HVAC or otherwise. This question falls under "otherwise".

ive always found this forum to be a great source of everything construction

Am I reading this correctly?

You are having a contractor install tile for you, but he doesn't plan on grouting and sealing the job?

Is that the question?

If so, my opinion would be to tell your contractor to pound sand.

This is the open discussion, HVAC or otherwise. This question falls under "otherwise".

ive always found this forum to be a great source of everything construction
    You didn't answer my first 2 questions.

Btw- The last statement was a joke.

Quote Originally Posted by ascj View Post
    You didn't answer my first 2 questions.

Btw- The last statement was a joke.
    I know...Im just pissed from the conversation with my contractor.

HVAC is already in. 2 xv95 furnaces with xr15 condensers. 2 electric air cleaners with a 700 series aprilaire humidifier

More information is needed to answer this question.

I do tile jobs all the time for side work, I have lots of pictures of my work and may even post a few.

Anyhow, grout is included in the bid when I buy the materials, if the customer is supplying everything and all I need is my tools and my knowledge then the only thing I am charging them for is my labor.

If I bid a job and I am responsible for everything then I am responsible for the proper amount of:Tile, mud, spacers, and sealer needed to get the job done correctly.

one job..

The opinions expressed by me are not that of my employer.

insulation modern marvels
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g37riSkyZzM

Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post

If so, my opinion would be to tell your contractor to pound sand.
    Or, more precisely, to go pound sanded grout!

Quote Originally Posted by NY2GA01 View Post
    .............More information is needed to answer this question.I do tile jobs all the time for side work, I have lots of pictures of my work and may even post a few.............
    Not too shabby my friend.

I can kinda understand the sealer being extra but the grout?.... What's next, ductwork extra?
    The picture in my avatar is of the Houston Ship Channel and was taken from my backyard. I like to sit outside and slap mosquitos while watching countless supertankers, barges and cargo ships of every shape and size carry all sorts of deadly toxins to and fro. It's really beautiful at times.....just don't eat the three eyed fish....

`. .` .>(((>

`... `. .` .>(((>

.` .>(((>

LMAOSHMSFOAIDMT

Was the contractor recommended by someone? Or did you check them out to see if they had any bad reviews on Angie's list or bbb? I've never heard of grout being extra! If they bid a job and are awarded so then if no stipulations were made he should be supplying ALL the material IMO..

Grout is an extra, in the same manner nailing/screwing panning is an extra.
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

unless it says he isnt responsible for grout/sealer in his contract ( who would be stupid enough to do that ) id think it wouldnt be considered a finished job...till its at least grouted...sealer MAY be extra ?? ( not a tile guy )

I moved into a Rental, the bath had been redone. The contractor had walked off without Grouting the Tile. I made a deal with the property manager and grouted the tile, myself. Used premixed grout, a squeege, masking tape and heavy masking paper. It was a snap doing it. After it was dry, applied sealer. Then used Alcohol to clean sealer off space between tub and bottom of tile. I filled the tub with cool water and silicon caulked the gap, drained tub after 24 hours. This causes the caulk to be compressed rather than stretched.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast