Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What brand is Quiet w/ Service access in mind??

Post Likes

Hmm

Hi Guys,
    Im building a new house in Connecticut (yup, Cold), Im trying to educate myself a little in HVAC.
    2800 sq ft, 2x6 walls w R19, Anderson windows, I will have a Load Calc done soon.

Im going with propane, I "think" I will go with a 2 stage system for comfort reasons only, 90+ afue.

My question is like a two sided coin, I would like to hear from you guys, who makes a Quiet, Reliable Furnace that has service access to work on or do maintenance??

Are the 2 stage V.S. units going down alot more offen than the reliable single stage due to more parts to break?

Thanks, any help will be much appreciated!!
    Brian

Post Likes
    Check utility rates carefully. Propane, even with 90+ furnace, is often the most expensive possible fuel. Depending upon electric rates, a heat pump instead of A/C might help temper that.

Everyone has their own opinion of who makes the best furnace. And opinions are like...

Look for the best dealer to put it in. Size it right! Too many oversize!

Post Likes
    Baldloonie answered it pretty much.

But, I have had no reliability issues with a 2 Stage VS, versus a single stage.

Dual fuel (heatpump/furnace combo) could definetly be the way to go. Seeing more and more of it, to help offset the high cost of fuels.

Could also look into Geothermal, heavy upfront cost..but no need for gas, and the payback could be fairly reasonable.

Post Likes
    I would go with a lennox.

Post Likes
    Well, sorry iago, I wouldn't, but that's just me. My next door neighbor sells them, we don't, and well, it's nothing personal, but... Seriously, it's been repeated over and over again here at hvac-talk- brand, schmand... it's the HANDS that install it not the brands they install that make or break the deal. All manufacaturers make low end lines and they all make top notch equipment models, too. Look for a dealer who goes the distance and does their homework- load calcs, option suggestions, ask for your input on what you want in a comfort system, etc. It does seem though that some manufacturers like to do their R&D in customers' homes instead of the lab with some of the crap that comes onot market. I won't mention any brands because it's as controversial as a favorite sports team- I got mine go get yours!
    Don't confuse me with facts, my mind is already made up.

Post Likes
    The sound levels are largely detrmined from the technology used in the furnace rather the brand of furnace. If sound level is important to you than a two stage, variable speed furnace will provide you with the lowest sound levels. I think almost every manufacturer offers a furnace with these features. My personal preference is Carrier and Rheem. Rheem/RUUD is Extremely service friendly and both are very reliable. ECM motors are expensive if you have to replace them...two things sure to kill an ecm motor is moisture and excessive static pressure so try to keep the furnace in a dry location and make sure the ducts are sized properly. If you take these precautions you should have many years of quiet, trouble free service from your furnace.

Dave in NJ

Post Likes
    I worked for Service Experts in Danbury CT, and was shocked how little propane was up there. I agree with DUAL FUEL set up.
    It's NOT the BRAND,it's the company that installs it!!!!!

Post Likes
    just about all the 90 plus are quite and are all dependable
    with fuel holding guns to our heads with pricing what bald loonie siad would make sense. heat pump with gas backup

Post Likes
    as most guys says, the install is thing to look at.. Right sized equipment, and ductworks.

A sealed two pipe 90% system with variable speed will be good for quietness.

With any system with variable speed, don't be afraid or cheap on the extended warranity.. Will be best money spent.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by iago
    Why?
    Training is important!
    Practical Training is a must!

Post Likes
    Originally posted by RoBoTeq
    Why?
    If the contractor is good and the HO feels comfortable they will get a professional installation, then, why not?

Post Likes
    Maiden, are you stalking me again? I already told you that I'm not interested.

And why are you answering for other posters?
    Training is important!
    Practical Training is a must!

Post Likes
    I’ll tell you a secret. It is a free country, and you should know this being you are running for the presidency.

Post Likes
    Now wait a minute Made. Robo, was merely asking how lennox was the solution to this man's problem, regardless whether its a heap pump, gas or nuclear powered unit. Even you should have jumped all over this type of an answer.

Clearly iago is on to something yet has decided not to tell the rest of us how he came to such a brilliant conclusion.

Post Likes

superbike0

Click on the red tab at the top of the page and do your own loss/gain calc for a few $. Then when someone gives you their calcs for your new home picking a contractor may be easier. Good Luck with your new home.
    Be safe not fast. body parts don't grow back

Post Likes
    Originally posted by RoBoTeq
    Why?

the OP asked for quiet and servicable lennox is at or near the top on both points.

Post Likes
    Doc- how small a nuke does Lennox make? LOL I have an uncle in Arizona who is a retired Nuclear Regulatory Commission engineer, maybe he can help me over the phone hook one up. I guess installed costs will be a little high, but long term savings might make it worthwhile????
    Don't confuse me with facts, my mind is already made up.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by Midwest
    Doc- how small a nuke does Lennox make? LOL I have an uncle in Arizona who is a retired Nuclear Regulatory Commission engineer, maybe he can help me over the phone hook one up. I guess installed costs will be a little high, but long term savings might make it worthwhile????
    i have installed a few of them and found replacing the fuel rods once a year and that dam suit to be a pain. also what to do with those silly rods my truck is starting to glow lol

Post Likes
    I have a few questions for Brian if he is still here but I fear we are just arguing with ourselves.
    "And remember my sentimental friend......that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others" - Wizard of Oz.

Post Likes
    Superbike0

My first choice would be Geo-Thermal but that depends on your area. Propane would be my last choice for heat. Go with oil, preferably Thermo Pride with a 14 + SEER Heat Pump set up as a Duel Fuel.

Check with your local utility for there rebate programs.

Good luck with your search.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in