Before in the past when regulations upped the minimum seer allowed, did the previously higher seer models that than became the base evenutally settle to an economy model like price? I assume once the 10 seer condensors were pricey compared to lower seers before 10 became the lowest allowed. Will the 13 become cheaper as the standard builder model or is their inherent costs that will keep it at the current price?

Perhaps I am looking at it like computers that become less efficient compared to the newer advanced ones and lose their pricing power but in this case it is the government pushing the change. I ask this question as I have 4 apartment units and another 4 I take care of for my mother that I would like to add AC to (we're in Ohio) and am wondering if I should buy the 10 seer units now although I would prefer to add AC units a couple at a time due to the great expense of buying 8 at once. Would welcome your opinion.

I assume once the market becomes flooded with 13 SEER, the price will come down. Once the 13 SEER becomes standard, companies will be making higher SEER models, which they already are. IMO, yes the price will come down.
    All Seasons Heating & Cooling

Maybe a little, but not much below todays 12 SEER. You also have to remember, you will need an indoor unit to match with it and it's not likley the exsisitng one will do.

We've already started to see prices drop. I just got a new price list in yesterday from one supplier and noticed on one brand and line, 13 SEER's were only 7 or 8 gallons-of-gasolene-equivalent more than the 12's. Does this tip toe around price rules enough? I agree with Redhawk prices will be similar, but I really doubt any 12 SEER equivalent or less price bargains will happen.
    Don't confuse me with facts, my mind is already made up.

Talking to a salesman of a "no frills" brand, he expects 13 SEER prices to be about $150 over 10 SEER prices, meaning the outdoor unit will be less than today's 12 SEER. But this brand will require TXV coil so evaps will be higher too.

Thanks for the replies guys. I think given your opinions, that I'll replace 2 systems now (need new furnaces as well) and just hope the 13s are reasonable enough when the time comes. Considering the financing costs of doing 8 now, it will probably work out the same to wait with less risk.

Originally posted by bill4
    Before in the past when regulations upped the minimum seer allowed, did the previously higher seer models that than became the base evenutally settle to an economy model like price?
    Thousands of years before the Goodmana-tron ruled the earth with quality innovations and competitve pricing,and the 10 seer wars raged on for centuries ,until...

just play it safe,buy a few systems now and store them in the garage

It looks like the overall price of equipment needing to go up in price due to oil processing and steel costs and the added costs of transporting equipment, will just about wipe out any savings we were looking forward to on the 13 SEER baseline units.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

I just installed a 5 ton Trane XR13 last week, it only cost us just under $100 more than an XR12 would have. I actually sold the custmer an XR12, but Trane was out of them locally, so I gave them the XR13 for the same price.
    The 13 SEER units have more materials in them, so they will be more expensive than the current base line 10 and 12 SEER equipment by default.

It looks like the XR13 and XR14 use the same sheet metal as the same size XL14i, but with the XR top panel.

What I found interesting was the SEER with the customers existing Trane coil and furnace with standard blower is exactly the same with the XR13 as it would be with an XL14i outdoor unit. With a XR14 it would be higher than with a XL14i.
    I'm thinking the XL14i product will be phased out next year.

If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

I would do this. Get 3 bids, replacing all the units now with 10 seer. Have them include in the bid a 10 year, at least 5 year warranty for parts and labor. Get your best loan package. You should have great buying power with 8 units. You will be covered for the next 10 years on parts and labor. Your AC and heat problems gone.You could save as much as $500 per unit buying 8 insted of one or two. That would more then cover the MFG extended warranty, and much of the cost of the loan.