my wall heater wouldn't kick on so i checked the pilot. it was out but was able to light the pilot when i turned the starter know from "on" to pilot but it won't stay lit when i turn it to on. directions say let in burn for 30 seconds but i have tried it for over 2 minutes as well as shut it down for 10 minutes and tried to start it. is this an easy fix or do i need a pro??

doitmyselfheating

As your name implies : no wait let me ask you a question .

Didi you happen to read the rules of this site? when you regestered?

ok , now i'll answer your question. If you have to ask how to light a pilot, you should either look for an hvac company to show you or ask your gas company to come out and light it . They will light your furnace and inspect it for any problems and do a combustion check on it for you , I believe at no charge, but there is a real good chance of you getting burnt by the explosion or a fireball if you light that thing before the heat exchanger is purged of excessive gas

Your problem indicates working on the gas valve itself, best advice is calling a pro.
    HVAC Contractor, Tyler Texas.

Welcome to HVAC TALK, however I hope you respect the forum rules and understand why this is not a DIY site.

There are many variables that could lead you down a very dangerous path that we can not see on this end.

Please contact a professional in your area to service your equipment.

Thanks for your understanding. And below is a link to the rules.

(we can't help DIY, due to site rules )

This is a very simple fix, it sounds to me like the pilot won't stay lit because the time delay in the hard start kit has a low millivolt charge, if you replace the fan limit control, you'll be up and running in no time.

This is something you should be able to do on your own...

Good Luck

2Hot.. That pretty much covers it

Make sure the hardstart capacitor is a millivolt and the fan relay as well or it won't be compatable.
    "Go big or Go Home"

Call your local hvac parts changer and tell him to be sure and bring a thermocouple.....

A Corny now you done gone and gave away the secret...
    "Go big or Go Home"

thanks everyone - except cp

no i didn't read the rules of the site before i registered. what sense is a site of professionals if a non professional can't tap your years of knowledge and experience?? i'm not asking HOW to do anything. just what you thought the problem was. Thanks to all the helpful but since i have never been on the inside i will call a pro. thanks again

Originally posted by doitmyselfheating
    no i didn't read the rules of the site before i registered. what sense is a site of professionals if a non professional can't tap your years of knowledge and experience??
    How about another professional helping another professional in the field?

Or, helping a rookie with a complex problem?

There are many problems that today’s technicians see that sometimes it is helpful to get advice from someone more familiar with a particular unit.

Besides it's a place for us to chat with others that have had similar experiences that understand our little lingo.

Then we have the ability to help customers with purchasing concerns and other non-technical advice.

Thanks for understanding.