My oil burner is on the fritz, and will need to be replaced. I had been reading about heatpumps. Just wondering if they are suitable for the north east (long Island)

I havent installed CAC yet and we run a pool heater and my reqular oil burner is on it's last leg. Does it make sence (at all) to consider a heat pump. My thinking is that I could use one unit to serve all three purposes(pool/CAC/Heat)

We plan to expand the house in two to three years and will be doing the CAC venting, and installing radiant floor heating at that time in the great room, kitchen, den etc.

Any thoughts from the professional point of view? Is the heat pump idea hyped? is it impractical for heating in the north east thru regular radiators?

Just wondeirng.

Thanks

heat pump is not a bad idea - considering they get them in Canada

and if you are redoing the whole setup I'd say wait to put the HP

If you're going with radiant flooring why bother with a HP? I would never recommend it for LI with our high electric rates. I have ductless mini-splits that are HP's and I just use them now in the spring and fall for cool nights instead of bringing the boiler on. But now that LIPA is raising electric rates, it's not really worth it.

Keep the CAC simple with ceiling supplies for cooling only. Invest in a high efficency gas condensing modulating boiler for heating, domestic hot water and pool heating.

No gas in my area. I thought heat pump was supposed to be the best thing since sliced bread as long as you dont need high water temps, aka radiant floor heating. Are they electricity hogs? They tout them as not being.