Thread: What's a "Turning Neck"

Post Likes

What's a "turning vain"

I have the furnace in a garage. The garage has been partially converted into a den type of room (will make it into a home thatre room). It currently has only one vent which is located next to the furnaces and it really doesn't keep the room warm.

One estimator said that I could intall a turning VAIN with the new two stage furnace I'm going to get to help warm up the room. I didn't get a chance for him to elaborate and won't have the ability to ask him until monday morning.I was hoping if some of you good folks knew what that was and how it works. Any other suggetions are also appreciated. Thanks

[Edited by bnbhoha on 10-22-2005 at 10:01 AM]

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Post Likes
    Sure he didn't say "turning vane"?

Post Likes
    Maybe he means rubber neck?

Post Likes
    Sorry, it was turning vain, oops.

Post Likes
    Its something that reduces turbulance when air goes around a corner inside the ductwork. And no it won't make a noticeable difference in performance.
    "And remember my sentimental friend......that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others" - Wizard of Oz.

Post Likes
    From the description you gave the register in question comes off right at the furnace. I would bet the contractor is recommending a type of scoop to catch the air and force more to this register. Takeoffs close to the furnace are short on air flow sometimes because of the velocity of the air coming out of the furnace. This all depends on the duct layout and we can't see that from here.

Steve are you saying turning vanes do not work? Turning vanes are a must in square 90's and help in radius 90's.

Post Likes
    I like turning vanes but in this case I don't see how adding one will "help warm up the room". Unrealistic expectations are lurking in this post.
    "And remember my sentimental friend......that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others" - Wizard of Oz.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Post Likes
    Turning vanes wil reduce the ESP (External Static Pressure) and increase the cfms (air flow).Now without the details we can't say how it will effect the OP's problem.

Post Likes
    Here is my unscientific take on this turning vane issue: Taking a problem of noncomfort and turning it into comfort will take more than what a turning vane can accomplish....generally speaking. All those figures and calulations are nice but sometimes you just need to go with your gut.

Senior Tech Guest
    I'm not sure about that steve...relatively speaking if I want a shot of smooth knob creek...and none is available a 6 pack of anything but heineken will usually get the job done...

Post Likes

Post Likes
    Originally posted by senior tech
    I'm not sure about that steve...relatively speaking if I want a shot of smooth knob creek...and none is available a 6 pack of anything but heineken will usually get the job done...
    Ahhh come on now.. whats wrong with Heineken??
    All Seasons Heating & Cooling

Post Likes
    one outlet isnt cutting it then i cant see any benneifit from a turning vain. it would seem to me the best bennifit would be to size the unit to the total load of the section of the house it has to heat and cool and add enough outlets to handle the room also. just replacing the unit is not the answer unles it is handled properly

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in