Thread: gas furnace Comfortmaker model GUA100A016 IN

Post Likes
    yes went out on a no heat call today customer had cover to blower compartment not on right safty door safty open, OK I Put it on right and it worked.
    Question I noticed combustion pruduct was vented out of side wall of basement with pvc, but the air going into the fisco motor to the furnace was from the basement.
    is this right should the are going into this model (GUA100A016 IN)be from the basement or from outside?
    WITH HORIZONTAL PVC
    Lttle more info BTU/HR INPUT 100,000 BTU/HR OUTPUT 80,000
    think this comfortmaker is a 1994 unit.

Post Likes
    Its ok, seen a bunch like that. It is not ceiled combustion.

Post Likes
    Sorry Coolwhip, have to disagree with you on that one.

GUA was approved for PVC on the INTAKE ONLY !! It can not be vented with PVC, and with the PVC intake, it is sealed combustion.

In this case, taking combustion air from the space, the only "currently" approved way to direct vent that furnace is with 29-4c stainless (with intake air) or Double Wall and a power venter (Field or Tjerlund)if taking air from the space

Back in the day, when it was around, it was approved for the Hi-temp vent pipe that is NLA, but when all that happened, the new vent regs came about.

Post Likes
    Beg to differ Eddy. That had a sealed burner compartment like the old 90s. Pvc was not approved for exhuaust.

We can still disagree civilly.

[Edited by curry on 10-21-2005 at 08:31 PM]

Post Likes
    OK, I stand corrected. Maybe I was thinking of a side(powervent) discharge 80%er. Could have been a york. Oh welly..

[Edited by coolwhip on 10-21-2005 at 08:32 PM]

Post Likes
    That is aan old 80 Ed.

I just think the Duke might be mistaking the plex vent for PVC.

The model is the old onr that took out side air as na option or could be used as a one pipe system.

Post Likes
    there is no pvc intake only a fisco in the top compartment no pvc going in it just sucking in basement air only pvc is going out from combustion chamber, goes up to ceiling then 15 feet out of side of house from basement.
    after putting cover on correctly and seeing it worked, i left there scratching my head thinking was this a improper install, customer said they just bought the home in the summer and had a building inspector to, but just did not look right to me.
    who ever lifed there before used it like that but is that safe.

Post Likes

[Edited by TheDuke on 10-21-2005 at 08:50 PM]

Post Likes
    Originally posted by TheDuke

[Edited by TheDuke on 10-21-2005 at 08:50 PM]

JJezze Dude, scare me silly why don't you.

as long as it has plex vent you are going to have to change it.

There was a national recall on that stuff cause the plex vent crumbles.

You will have to contact ICP (HEIL< COMFORTMAKER ECT) to see if they will reimburse you for making the necessary alterations.
    If not tell the customer, or better yet call the city to red tag it. Other wise the cost might be put on you for over looking a dangerous and widely known recall hazard.

Post Likes
    if this is the one i am thinking it is. the high temp plastic is under a goverment recall program
    the coustomer has to call corective action program. i will get you the number tomorro. they will ask for the model and seriel number. then they will get them and coust number and the coustomer can give it to you. you call and they will send ypou the proper venting weterial and pay you to install it. you can not call in thier behalf either
    they have to make the call. i only do this for my coustomers bscause they dont pay enough to make it worth while usely it costs the contractor in labor.

Post Likes
    reply to curry
    I called the homeowner asked them to look at the plastic pipe in basement out of furnace they said it had letters on it PVC.
    thats why i deleted the post after they looked.
    i was not shore had a few calls today just had that one stuck in my head cause of the fisco in the top compartment with nothing going into it and it just sucking in the basement air thought it should be piped to outside but did not know, cause thats how it was installed.

Post Likes
    thought i new it all out there doing my thing, smacked back to reality gotta hit the books again going along fixing one after the other.
    now get a dumb call like that cover not on right and realize I know nothing and bam gotta hit the books again.
    the worst is when you can't figure out whats wrong with them thats when you feel 2 inches tall.
    well got past that part last year, running about 99 percent on the troubleshooting, some x just a wing and a prayer.
    read read and read.
    gotta get a digital camera so i can post pics here on some of the hack jobs i see.

Post Likes
    That PVC Has to go. It is not approved. As I stated in my previous post, it MUST be vented in one of the 2 ways listed.

It can also be vented into a "properly sized and lined" chimney as long as you run B-Vent to the chimney, but if it must be direct vented, you must change it to one of the other 2 methods listed.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by TheDuke
    reply to curry
    I called the homeowner asked them to look at the plastic pipe in basement out of furnace they said it had letters on it PVC.
    thats why i deleted the post after they looked.
    i was not shore had a few calls today just had that one stuck in my head cause of the fisco in the top compartment with nothing going into it and it just sucking in the basement air thought it should be piped to outside but did not know, cause thats how it was installed.
    Like everybody else is saying the PVC has to go.
    It could not have lasted this long if it hasn't been replaced previously.

Luck

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in