I am currently in the process of selecting a contractor to replace my enite split system electric heat and air handler. I am going to be using a VS air handler with a 14seer heat pump. Brand unknown right now.

When we bought the house the previous owners finished half the basement (500sf) and left the other half unfinished.(450 sf) The finished half is split almost in half with a game room on one side and a den on the other. The area is fine in the summer but it gets uncomfortably cool in the winter. When the previous owners finished the basement they only ran one supply line to the den area. This supply came off the main duct about 4-5" inches from the one end. The supply does little to keep the finished part of the basement warm in the winter. Partly probably due to the fact their is no return installed. I am not looking to keep the basement at 72' in the winter but would like to get some warm air down there to take the chill off. I have a couple of questions regarding this issue.

1. If I were to add an addition supply and return to the game room should the supply come off the plenum rather then off the existing duct work.

2. Should the supply be located in the ceiling with the return close to the floor or some other configuration.

3. Most of the contractors who I mentioned adding a supply and return to the basemnt bid the job with a 3Ton HP and 40000btu AH as opposed to the existing matched 2 1/2 ton HP and Air Handler that is currently installed. Would this be a good idea to increase the capacity.

Thanks for your input.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    1.Yes if increasing the size of the system to 3 ton.

2.If designed by Manual D,as it should be either can work just fine.If heating is the main thing supplies low in the wall can help.Return location has little effect.

3.They should do a Manual J(from ACCA) load calculation of the entire home,to get the right size.There's one at the red tab above ,you can do it yourself,for a small fee.

Note ;When you heat the rest of the basement ,the floor above it,has no heat loss in the winter,that's why they need to do the whole house,plus it might not have been sized right the first time.

[Edited by dash on 10-22-2005 at 01:25 PM]

I have a two story house and on both floors the supplies are at the floor and the returns are close to the ceiling. Now with the basement should the same rule apply, or does it make more sense to put the supplys in the ceiling and returns down low, close to the floor. I will primarily only ever need to condition the air in the baement in the winter as it stays fairly cool down there in the summer.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Originally posted by dash

2.If designed by Manual D,as it should be either can work just fine.If heating is the main thing supplies low in the wall can help.Return location has little effect.

[Edited by dash on 10-22-2005 at 01:25 PM]